The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some turbo installation questions

jevansio

Got a couple of questions about fitting my turbo

1. Do you have to use thread lock when fitting the fixtures for the water feed/return into the central cartridge. When I removed the fittings from the old turbo I could see thread lock had been used there. If so what type, Loctite 278??? It says it goes upto 220c, will that be enough?

2. When fitting the turbo to manifold, is a metal T4 gasket best, or some sort of exhaust seal paste, when I took the old one off there was no gasket and it looked like some sort of paste was used.

3. Which type of sealant should be used to seal the compressor cover. The h-cover comes with no o-ring and leaks unless sealed

ta

EDIT

4. I need to tap a hole for my EGT probe, my thread gauge says it's 0.9mm pitch, it looks like M10, I can't seem to find any taps of that size (or is it likely to be an imperial thread). I think I may have an answer for this, my EGT is Defi. Normally it's 1/8 NPT but apparently Defi use 1/8 28 turn BSPT for Jap & Euro markets. This fits in with my 0.9mm as 1/8 BSPT is 28 TPI which is roughly 0.9mm :D

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

You can use a thread sealer but like you say it needs to be ok at high temperature.

More important than what gasket you use is to make sure that both mating surfaces are absolutley flat, otherwise you will just keep getting a nasty blow. Personally I use the metal gasket and just smear a hint of sealer on it.

If you want to seal the comp housing then once again a smear of RTV.......................NOT a bead of it.

Most EGT probes i have fitted nave been 1/8 NPT

You can use a thread sealer but like you say it needs to be ok at high temperature.

More important than what gasket you use is to make sure that both mating surfaces are absolutley flat, otherwise you will just keep getting a nasty blow. Personally I use the metal gasket and just smear a hint of sealer on it.

If you want to seal the comp housing then once again a smear of RTV.......................NOT a bead of it.

Most EGT probes i have fitted nave been 1/8 NPT

Many thanks for the info Dude,

Had a quick look up and the difference between 1/8 NPT & 1/8 BSPT is one is 27 TPI & one is 28 TPI so considering I'm taping something about 1/4" thick there'd prolly be next to no difference betwenen the 2