The mkiv Supra Owners Club

5speed converision cost?

Guest George89

You should be able to get the box, prop and clutch parts for around £350-£400 from a scrap yeard or breakers. Then the clutch and flywheel, guess around £150 from a breakers. Trans tunnel plate is £70 from Toyota.

It's a couple of days work to do (much less for a garage), so go with normal garage rates and you'll have your labour cost.

It's actually not that difficult to do. Mine ended up costing £350 all in, but that was DIY and the parts cheap due to pulling the parts myself from a breaker in a srapyard. It took about a day and a half to install (along with the engine)

A good point of call would be someone like AFR or Keron on here.

Guest George89

well i want to do a TT conversion in the summer but i really don't want the auto i just want a nice tt manual running around 400RWHP BPU. and am happy

Guest George89

well got a quote of £2500 for tt and gearbox conversion on a NA how much would it cost approximatly for a 6spd tt conversion? so i know how much i have to save

to be fair you dont realy need the trans tunnel with a w58 as its just not as big as the 6 speed... Im not bothering with mine till i go turbo and 6 speed

Eh? The trans tunnel mod is needed to mount the shifter and allow the mechanism to fit inside. Without it, the gearbox litterally won't fit.

well got a quote of £2500 for tt and gearbox conversion on a NA how much would it cost approximatly for a 6spd tt conversion? so i know how much i have to save

An extra £3k for the 6spd conversion is about the going rate.

The 5spd is okay for stock TT power levels, but it's a real gamble if power levels start rising (bpu). We have plenty of people here who have destroyed the NA gearbox and diff's at BPU power levels.

Also, you will never get 400rwhp on BPU, it'll be more like 330-360rwhp

Guest George89

Sorry for dumb question but why do they sell the TT in a manual 5spd if it handles it ok but with a bit of modifying to the engine it won't handle it

Eh? The trans tunnel mod is needed to mount the shifter and allow the mechanism to fit inside. Without it, the gearbox litterally won't fit.

what mechanism? the only thing that comes through the tunnel is the shifter :shrug: the only thing that bolts to the tunnel is the 2nd gator

what mechanism? the only thing that comes through the tunnel is the shifter :shrug: the only thing that bolts to the tunnel is the 2nd gator

Though you are correct that the only thing that bolts to the tunnel is the gator, trust me that the box cannot be fitted wihout the plate. I've done a conversion before and there is no way you can get the box and shifter in with the auto plate.

Just for example - think about the position of the gator fixing, the auto plate is about 1 inch lower, if the shifter mechanism is 1 inch lower, the gearbox mount will be 1inch lower (i.e. you can't fix it to the chassis) and the prop will be at the wrong angle.

Looks like its cheaper just to sell the NA and get a TT rather then doing conversions and stuff

If you're going NA auto to TT-6spd then yes, it'll be a lot cheaper to sell and buy a real one. The only time it's worth it is if you have a late model car.

Guest George89
If you're going NA auto to TT-6spd then yes, it'll be a lot cheaper to sell and buy a real one. The only time it's worth it is if you have a late model car.

Its a 1996 which i don't think its worth it then

Guest vintage21275

if some can advise me please i hear that its better to go for a 1jz 5 speed box rather than a 2jz as the former can apparantly handle more power??

if some can advise me please i hear that its better to go for a 1jz 5 speed box rather than a 2jz as the former can apparantly handle more power??

You are referring to an R154 transplant. It is marginally chpeaer than the 6spd conversion but requires a *lot* of mechanical expertise to complete. Very few have bothered with it due to the complexity and cost of parts.

It's viable though, but only to those that have good mechanical knowledge and really understand what they are doing.