The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Track days

foggy147

Hi guys just been watching JamiePs driving videos and really got me thinking of where and how do you get to learn the skills required to do that round a track, also how expensive is it to take your car to the track?

It;s something Ive always wanted to do but i've always thought its very expensive, any info would be great.

Is there any track days coming up in the north west region soon that i could attend etc?

Cheers guys

ps:i do understand it's not going to be as much fun being in an NA auto but still, be good to start somewhere!!

I too have wondered this, only got my Supra in March but even prrevious to that (with my VXR and Vectra V6 I've wanted to attend a track day, just been trying to find out what mods are necessary on my BPU Auto TT to make it through a track day then be able to drive it home.

Got good tyres ( which given, may need replacing afterwards)

Bigger brakes (I.E 4 pots up front with bigger discs with better pads and new discs and better pads at the rear, dot 5.1 fluid & braided lines)

Also fitted an ATF cooler up front too

But is it recomended to have things like extra gauges, P/S & Oil coolers etc. too?

If you are a complete first timer on track then I would reccommend an airfield track day to start.

Elvington is perfect for the northern area guys and a trackday company called Javelin are masters at that circuit. I've been on a few of their trackdays and been very impressed with their organisation and track layouts.

An airfield day removes all the pressure on a first timer and leaves you to explore what your car can do in the safety of not being able to hit anything.

There are a number of elements of driving safely on a track day, some of them are; awareness of what is around you in terms of other traffic, driving within your limits, planning ahead. An airfield track day allows you to quickly brush up on these elements before you need to start worrying about barriers, walls, trees etc.

Airfield days are usually cheaper than normal track days too.

As for car prep. not much really needs to be done iin advance other than decent amount of tread on tyre, make sure brakes are working well and you have a decent amount of pad and disc material left. Recent oil change and everything is in good working condition as per the MOT. And thats about it.

As a first timer you should not be worrying about lap times or fastest possible corner speeds and handling etc. Just go out to have fun and learn the basics.

Stock brakes and stock everything is very adequate for a begginer on an airfield day.

Ive been looking at the oulton track and they do tuition and novice track days and is reasonable in price too. I would need new tyres and pads just to be sure, its gonna be due a service around feb time (might see if chris wilson can give it the once over)

Would aim to get it tracked around feb/march time.

Only thing ive done similar is drive a lambo gallardo at elvington circuit for 6 laps in june lol

An N/A will be fine, in fact in the wet it would potentially be quicker than a TT, unless the TT driver was really good. Brakes (pads and fluid to suit track usage) and decent hard compound tyres will see you right. A spare set of 16 inch stock rims with some decent track rubber will give you an edge, both performance and finance wise.