The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Date of "First Use" (MOT Certificate)

Fitz

I recently took my car for an MOT, (which passed after I had to show them my car DID have fog lights) but one thing I've noticed is that on the MOT certificate on the top where it states "Approximate Date of First Use" mine reads '1st January 1992'...now I thought it could be wrong but I've checked my last two MOT certificates (as the car was only imported late 2007) and they both state the same.

I know it says "Approximate" but that's a substantially large gap 2 and a half years at the most, (car is a '94 plate) additionally as all of you obviously know the Mkiv wasn't in production until 1993....:blink:

Either something is wrong or I've got a devious looking MKIII Supra?

What do other members' MOT certificate read? More to the point for those that own a '94 Supra does yours say '1st January 1992' or closer to the actual production date?

Yes, it'll be the date when the belt was produced, that's not necessarily the same as the car year though!

Indeed. But, how is the "Date of First Use" calculated? Surely it's linked via a central database which will produce certain details when the chassis number is entered, rather than a local Joe looking for the year on seatbelts? Or someone having a guess.

Indeed. But, how is the "Date of First Use" calculated? Surely it's linked via a central database which will produce certain details when the chassis number is entered, rather than a local Joe looking for the year on seatbelts? Or someone having a guess.

I suggested the seatbelt to give you piece of mind and confirmation of the age of your car. If they are the original seatbelts they will be around the same manufacture date of your car, although not quite the same registration date.

As for the MOT I have no idea. Just wanted to give you piece of mind.

I suggested the seatbelt to give you piece of mind and confirmation of the age of your car. If they are the original seatbelts they will be around the same manufacture date of your car, although not quite the same registration date.

As for the MOT I have no idea. Just wanted to give you piece of mind.

Ah, I'm pretty convinced it's a '94 :) but as suggested Scott I'll see what the seatbelt label says, if it still has them. Cheers bud :thumbs:

I've got 2 cars. Cert for the runaround says it and the date matches the reg (although this cars not an import) but the last 2 MOT certs for the supe (from 2 different garages) have this bit missing completely, and not just not filled in, but there's not even a cell for it. Weird.

Just to clarify, the runaround model was built between 1997 and 2002. My car is an '02' plate and the approximate date of first use also says 2002.

Edited by dukenukem (see edit history)