The mkiv Supra Owners Club

stupid Garage uses wrong gear box oil

mikerunner

took my car in for gear box oil change, i gave them 2ltrs of rps and they decided not to use that and put some other crap in, and they didnt tell me.

so i drive bout 100 miles and start hearing odd sound under the car like grinding or metal rubbing,

i took my car to another garage who put the right stuff in,

noise has reduced but is still there slightly

i hope this odd sound will reduce.

do you guys think this may have caused serious damage to my gear box?

Can you not like... sue the garage or something?!

Surely they can't just use different oil if you've supplied and asked them to use certain oil?

I don't really know where you stand on it, but that's ridiculous, and I'd be going f****** crazy!

Can't help with the gearbox Q... I'm not sure how much damage could have been caused because if they used what they thought was a good alternative, and they aren't all idiots, surely it wouldn't of been all that bad. Obviously different viscositys (sp?) so you'll need a oil guru to help out here...

Sorry mate.

You live and you learn, sometimes the hard way. It's a 5k box bud, 2nd hand you will be lucky to get a replacement for 2k. Very expensive and not something to mess around with. If you knew they hadn't used the proper oil you shouldn't have accepted it. The getrag box is absolutely fantastic and is pretty much bullet proof if cared for properly.

Not to be the profit of doom but the wrong oil might just have fecked a seal or something, which could lead to big problems.

You should have a look at doing a job like this on your own. All you need is a jack, some level ground, a spanner set and an old basin.

they used either motul gear 300 or motul dexron iii

havent spoke to garage yet gonna go down tomorrow and find out what excuse they have. didnt want to do over phone.

what weight is the toyota v160 gear box oil?

If they used a dextron III it should be fine as this is the correct grade of ATF for the box, however the 300 is a 75/90 and is for diffs etc.

If they used a dextron III it should be fine as this is the correct grade of ATF for the box, however the 300 is a 75/90 and is for diffs etc.

As above, I don't think you would be able to sue them for using the correct grade of oil if they put the dexron in, they would say that they thought you had supplied the wrong oil !!!!! and were acting in your best interests.

This happened to me a few years back, i booked the car in with my local toyota dealer and left it there to have the gearbox oil changed, on return to the car i noticed that the gearbox was alot more 'stiff' than it had been before, but not knowing the nature of a gearbox oil change i thought it might get better over time.

The next day it was almost impossible to select 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, so i came onto here and found a thread from Ian C, saying that unless you use the correct V160 oil ( Part No 08885-01306) then it will destroy all the seals and the gearbox will become stiff and difficult to select gear. I then rang the garage and they said they had put in 75w90 and that this was the oil that supras needed. When i gave the part number out over the phone the guy went quite, and then came back and said that i was correct and that they had never heard of it :blink:.

Toyota then said they would collect the car and replace the oil with the correct oil, but i told them that because i had no way of knowing what damage it may have caused that if over the next 12-18 months i get any issues witht he gearbox then they would be held responsible, they agreed and its been fine ever since.