The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Supra should I look for?

shifted

Hey everyone,

New here, but figured the best place to ask advice about a Supra is to go to a Supra forum.

I am looking for a Twin Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Aero-top Supra (I am in Australia) but just wondering what everyone thinks is the best one to choose from, I wouldn't mind having some good factory specs. I have always wanted to buy a Supra, and now it seems like the perfect opportunity for me to do so. Price is not an issue in my opinion because if it is the perfect one for me, it will be the right price. I have been checking car sale websites but nothing popping up at the moment (or the Aero-top is an automatic - which I do not want).

Cheers,

shifted

Edit: Is a 6 speed manual Aero-top possible? Or do you have to convert Auto to Manual, how hard would that be?

Edited by shifted (see edit history)

Hey everyone,

New here, but figured the best place to ask advice about a Supra is to go to a Supra forum.

I am looking for a Twin Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Aero-top Supra (I am in Australia) but just wondering what everyone thinks is the best one to choose from, I wouldn't mind having some good factory specs. I have always wanted to buy a Supra, and now it seems like the perfect opportunity for me to do so. Price is not an issue in my opinion because if it is the perfect one for me, it will be the right price. I have been checking car sale websites but nothing popping up at the moment (or the Aero-top is an automatic - which I do not want).

Cheers,

shifted

Edit: Is a 6 speed manual Aero-top possible? Or do you have to convert Auto to Manual, how hard would that be?

We have to convert TT aeros to 6 speeds, looking at 3k uk money.

Where to you plan buying the car from? Japan? if so Jurgen might be able to help you.

If price isnt an issue then why not convert it to a big single?

Toyota made a 6 speed aerotop for the US market, but that's obviously left hand drive. They didn't make one for the Japanese or UK right-hand drive market, and I'm guessing that they didn't make any for the Aussie market either.

As Raven said, all of the manual aerotops in the UK will have either been converted from automatic gearboxes, or been imported from the US market.

A lot of newbies dismiss the auto gearbox, then try it and find they like it. :) Personally I like a manual gearbox because I feel more involved in the driving experience.

Well, I prefer manual driving in general, I want to feel the control of the car, and be also involved in the driving experience.

I wouldn't mind converting to a single turbo, but at first I want the exact car I want, then look at options.

How hard is it to convert an auto to a manual?

If I decide to buy in Australia, it would be great, if I have to import, I will, but I really want an Aero-Top, you know? Otherwise I might just have to stick to an auto, but then I would love to convert it to Manual, or, would it be possible to have a Supra coupe converted to an Aero-top?

Being in Aus, we tend to get a lot of imports, would Japan have had a lot of Auto conversions to Manual 6 speed?

Cheers,

Paul

Well, I prefer manual driving in general, I want to feel the control of the car, and be also involved in the driving experience.

I wouldn't mind converting to a single turbo, but at first I want the exact car I want, then look at options.

If I decide to buy in Australia, it would be great, if I have to import, I will, but I really want an Aero-Top, you know? Otherwise I might just have to stick to an auto, but then I would love to convert it to Manual, or, would it be possible to have a Supra coupe converted to an Aero-top?

Being in Aus, we tend to get a lot of imports, would Japan have had a lot of Auto conversions to Manual 6 speed?

Cheers,

Paul

Auto to manual conversion is in the region of £3000 over here mate ;)

i would seriously get in touch with Jurgen on this site (JM Imports) - he WILL find you the car you want ;)

Cheers,

Paul

You cant convert to an Aero top.

Was there a Supra that came out with a 5 speed manual (non turbo, single or twin) with aero-top? Would a conversion there be easier?

Also, in regard to Jurgen, where does he look? And how does a deal get set-up? Is it like through an Importation company?

Was there a Supra that came out with a 5 speed manual (non turbo, single or twin) with aero-top? Would a conversion there be easier?

Also, in regard to Jurgen, where does he look? And how does a deal get set-up? Is it like through an Importation company?

5 speeds where n/a only. The price of the bits to convert would be cheaper but the conversion itself would still be as hard.

5 speed boxes wont handle as much power as a 6 speed.

Please dont rule out the auto box till you have tried in manu mode.

Well, I might just have to get the Auto here in Aus and then look at converting down the track, I am sure I can find a shop around here that can do it.

I am not sure about the importing side, mainly because I have never done it before (though I know people that do it all the time) so I gotta weigh up the options at the moment. Thanks for all the help though guys, so after all this, I am left with the SZ-R Aero-top as the only option then?

There are a few for sale over here going cheap so I will have a look around.

Edit: Just saw Jurgen's site with some of the Ab-Flug cars, jesus! I never thought you could get one out of Japan before, I gotta get in touch with him!

Edited by shifted (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Well, here she is:

'95 RZ Toyota Supra

6 Spd Manual

Twin Turbo

ARC Inflow Box

HKS SuperDragger Turbo-back Exhaust

Tanabe SSR SP-1 Professors. 18". 275 rear.

And I just bought an "active spoiler" to be fitted in a week or two, and Series II indicators for the front.

Turbo badge has also been removed. ;)

Looks very nice indeed sir. Wheels are probably just the correct offset, I wouldn't bother with spacers ;)

Cheers man! Yeah the rear wheels I can barely fit a finger between the guard and the tyre. 40 profile tyres.

Nice , did you get one imported in the end or by in Aus?

scotty

This one was imported in March 2009 last year. I bought this, the week after I posted this thread lol. 2nd owner in Australia.

The guy I bought it off brings Supras in all the time, he never buys at Auction, he has a mate living in Japan who buys privately and sends them over.

16th Dec 2009. :)