The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MVP Sport Clutch

GetawayDriver

I've had an MVP Sport Clutch fitted, with all new bearing etc from toyota. Old stock flywheel though.

see here (3rd one down)

It makes a damn racket, i know carbon/metal clutches can be noisy but this thing is a mess.

At low speed, when pulling away, especially when hot, it feels and sounds terrible, it makes a griding noise and there is also a lot of vibration back through the pedal. it sounds and feels like the transmission is catching on the ground, it's not, but thats what by standers think as my car clatters it's way up the street.

Has anyone else had this with a carbon clutch? or has my mechanic made a grave error and need reprimanding. Could it be the old flywheel, have i not ran it in for long enough and ruined it? (i was gentle for about 300 miles) ... or should i just sell the supra and buy a 957cc fiesta? (i had one for my first car and it took it's punishment better than the supra!)

Guest Terry S

I had a stage 3 clutch ( yours is RPS BTW, not MVP) that was noisey but I had the lightened flywheel.

TBH unless you have seriouse power, I would bite the bullet and put a stock dsic back in with the RPS pressure plate. More than enough for most BPU+ cars.

Paul,

i'd think about sticking with stock as long as you can, the pedal feel is terrible with the RPS pressure plate and it's savage, if i change gear hard in 3rd in the wet it loses traction, even changing down a gear in the wet without heel and toe can momentarily lock the rears.

the biting point is about 1inch from the pedal being right up, it's either on or off... forget traffic jams. The clutch only feels nice when you nail the sh1t out of the car, which i guess is what it is designed for.

Guest Terry S

Jay, the only anawer is the RPS Carbon/Carbon but they are a lot of money. I had one in the purple car when we met. They are IMHO the best set up around. They make more noise than stock, but considering it has a lightened flywheel it's superb.

What about a Kevlar?

Paul, yeah you can buy just the pressure plates.

I can get decent deals direct from RPS guys so let me know if you need more info.

Dusty at MVP is a great guy Jay so maybe see if he can do you a deal on a different disc.

Yeah i spoke to Dusty last time, he's cool, he stopped me buying the solid disc set up - thank god. He warned me the setup i chose may be a bit harsh for the streets.

Can you get suspension parts too Terry? i'm looking for a full adjustable set up, top mounts, roll bars and all the bushes i can find.

Guest Terry S

Pretty much anything mate, but won't get sh1te like some. E-mail me and I'll point you in the right direction. I have just finished the new suspension set up on the black car, if you want to try it.

Hi Getaway,

I had an RPS clutch fitted at Leon's a while ago.........

was almost like an on/off switch

it didn't settle down until around 1,000 miles was on it....after that it gradually eased off & is fine now, can still chatter a little in reverse though.

Depends if you want to stick with it for a while:(

Just so as you know I have the RPS clutch and flywheel, and I get exactly the noises that your describing.

Top bloke that he is, Kevin Huntley looked into it, and got the following from RPS:

”HiKevin, I believe the customer needs to increase the rpms at idle 200~300 RPMshigher than stock. The noise that occurs is the idling arm in the transmission. The lighten FW cannot be heard. I would recommend the SportPP w/ street disc or the Max PP w/ street disc. The Sprung clutch will not workany better than the recommended setup””

Obviosuly a little difficult to do unless you have some kind of electronic gizardry to do this.

TBH though, rasing the idle seems to make the rattle less noticeable generally, but when the weather get's real hot, it all comes back with a vengeance. I've had enough of it and am going to go back to stock flywheel and RPS clutch.

Anybody on here want to supply and fit? (I've already got the RPS clutch)

Regards

Tony

:innocent:

Has anyone tried the Exedy twin plate with lightened flywheel?

I am also looking for a new clutch combo but do not want to ramp up the pressure plate too much as this is where problems can occur.

Originally posted by Wez

:innocent:

I am also looking for a new clutch combo but do not want to ramp up the pressure plate too much as this is where problems can occur.

The South Bend pressure plate isn't too much stiffer than stock. I've got a south bend full kevlar sprung clutch, and RPS flywheel. The clutch is a 6 puck job, so you do get a bit of judder sometimes as it engages as some of the pucks grab before others if you see what I mean. It tends to do that more when it's hot, and if you don't use many revs when pulling away. Mostly it's fine though, the pedal pressure is pretty much exactly like stock.

The amount of rattle I get at idle varies, sometimes it doesn't rattle at all, sometimes it rattles quite a lot. It seems to rattle more when hot though. I also get a rattle when I accelerate in a high gear at low revs which I find more annoying than the idle rattle, but It doesn't bother me too much and I much prefer the engine response with the lightened flywheel.

This link has been posted before I think, and has some useful info on different clutches.