The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driving through Floods - In Supra

Guest Garfy

is it a wise thing to do? I came across a flooded road on my way to work today, I drove through it ok, but it made me think, at what height would it start to cause a problem, and are there any low level breathers I should be worred about?

no not a good idea...but depends how deep obviously.

The main issue would be brake discs and warping them.

If you're discs are hot and they rapidly cool with the water then they can be easily warped.

And, to mention the obvious, if water makes it over the bonnet and into the electrics and air filter, the engine bay will suffer.

Lets say you have some very heavy rain for several hours and there are some deep ish puddles about 6/7 inches or so developing due to the slope of the road etc then I'd avoid it.

It amazes me at how many drive through without a care in the world. Last year when we had some heavy rains, people drove through the puddles whereas I moved the car towards the shallowest part of the puddle (taking up 2 lanes) and crawling through it.

Some folks that drove through these puddles that didn't look all that bad ended up grinding to a halt a few yards further up the road :D Obviously you have to remember that many modern cars have many electrics/sensors etc than can and will be affected by such conditions!

The Smart car I had used to be a pain in the arse - there is a small drain hole in the front of the gearbox, low down and if you went through anything deeper than a couple of inches, the gearbox would fill with water. It would run fine until you stopped, then it would not register any movement of the gearstick and you couldn't start the car (semi-auto thing has to be in N to start) until the water drained out which took 2 days. I got stuck 3 or 4 times like that, no matter how gently I went through puddles.

Lets say you have some very heavy rain for several hours and there are some deep ish puddles about 6/7 inches or so developing due to the slope of the road etc then I'd avoid it.

It amazes me at how many drive through without a care in the world. Last year when we had some heavy rains, people drove through the puddles whereas I moved the car towards the shallowest part of the puddle (taking up 2 lanes) and crawling through it.

Some folks that drove through these puddles that didn't look all that bad ended up grinding to a halt a few yards further up the road :D Obviously you have to remember that many modern cars have many electrics/sensors etc than can and will be affected by such conditions!

:drown: exactly, and not to mention the affect on your steering when hittting a couple of inches of water at even low speeds. Drive one-handed at your peril with 245s on the front in/after heavy rain.

The Smart car I had used to be a pain in the arse - there is a small drain hole in the front of the gearbox, low down and if you went through anything deeper than a couple of inches, the gearbox would fill with water. It would run fine until you stopped, then it would not register any movement of the gearstick and you couldn't start the car (semi-auto thing has to be in N to start) until the water drained out which took 2 days. I got stuck 3 or 4 times like that, no matter how gently I went through puddles.

I cannot, for the life of me, imagine you in a Smart car :)

If the water covers your headlights, then I'd begin to worry a bit...

I'd begin to worry a bit sooner than that. :) The headlight is where the air intake is, and if you get water pouring into that you're in danger of getting it into the cylinders, and the resulting "hydraulic lock" where the engine seizes up.

Obviously, if the water reaches the air intake or any of the ignition-dependent electrics, then it's very risky. Water recess into any of the electrics can be a pain to diagnose, and it can give you some truly bizarre symptoms.

I really don't like driving through water. That view might originate from owning Rover Metros in the past. They had exposed HT leads at the front of the engine bay, and the car would splutter and die if they got damp. Sometimes the bloody Metro would start to cough if it merely saw standing water at 30 paces. ;)

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Even if it's over the sills a bit it shouldn't damage the car mechanically if you GO SLOWLY. Diff vent is higher, so is gearbox. Air cleaner will only pull water if it's about half bumper height and I doubt if many would knowingly attempt a crossing like that! Problems start with modded cars with ill conceived air filter set ups. Once the engine inhales water whilst it's running it'll probably hydraulic and be *uggered internally.

Even if it's over the sills a bit it shouldn't damage the car mechanically if you GO SLOWLY. Diff vent is higher, so is gearbox. Air cleaner will only pull water if it's about half bumper height and I doubt if many would knowingly attempt a crossing like that! Problems start with modded cars with ill conceived air filter set ups. Once the engine inhales water whilst it's running it'll probably hydraulic and be *uggered internally.

Thanks Chris, thats exactly the type of answer i was looking for :)