The mkiv Supra Owners Club

lexus aristo 2jz vs mk4 supra mk4 2jz

Guest argy911

Depends what you want from a car. Supra is lighter and will be quicker, but the seats in the back are a bad joke at best. IMHO the Supra looks better, but I've seen some stunning Aristos too.

I had the privilege of a passenger lap of the Nurburgring in one of my favourite Aristos in the UK (then owned by Tom_S) and it handled surprisingly well.

It depends on what you want out of a car? i have owned both and my aristo was single turbo but i enjoy the supra more because i didn't need the extra room of the aristo. I think i will get another aristo later in life but as i said it depends on what your requirements are from a car, then you can make a decision.

I would say the MK1 is the better looking compared to the later version MK2. The rear seats are a bonus and there is a lot of space for people in the rear. Speed wise, it is not much different to a supra and mechanically is basically the same car.

The MK2 is a bit more developed and abit more different from a supra with it's electronics etc. Also the MK2 has the VVTi engine.

No MK1 aristo were ever made manual from the factory and i think the MK2 is tiptronic?

The difference in weight is about 150KG from the MK1 aristo compared to a Supra.

A lot of mechanical and electrical parts work on both the MK1 and the Supra so that is why you see member's on this forum :)

How about suspension components? I think the supra has double wishbone all round, does the Aristo have anything similar?

Yep it's the same, they had optional LSD's too but no manual mode on the auto.

Ride and load space have to be two of the obvious big advantages :) It did handle well and did not roll that badly through the corners & was a great sleeper (Boxster and Mitsi 3000gt incidents spring to mind here).

Brakes were marginal, it must be a bit heavier than a supra and no UK brake option afaik.

Don't know about the specific technicals.

As for a personal comparison, I came from a BPU '93 Supra to a Stock '98 VVTi Aristo.

THE BAD

The Aristo is slower, but that's compared to a BPU, of course, so not a fair comparison.

The Aristo also feels slower - you don't feel as connected to the road. This is particularly scary when you look down and realise you've hit 100 already. I had to upgrade the roll bars and fit struts as soon as I got it to add a bit of feeling.

The Aristo autobox is, to be fair, pants. Again - not necessarily a fair comparison, as I came from a manual Supra, but it's a common opinion.

The handling is looser compared to the Supra, not surprising, really. The body roll is noticable.

Brakes - eurgh. Worse than Jap Supra brakes but, like the Supra, easy to upgrade.

THE GOOD

#1 - the all important: My family actually fits in it! No other reason to change from a Supra to an Aristo (for me). The Supra has a surprisingly practical boot space, but the Aristo has about 4.5 acres of space. :)

The traction control (and also stability control!) is actually usable! Not sure if this is a post-98 thing (ie. not sure what the 98+ Supras are like).

A note on looks

Horses for courses here, really. Can't deny the wonderful, head-turning looks of the Supra, but it's nice to be able to leave the Aristo in the road and parked up without worrying about it like I did the Supra. Also makes the Aristo a fun "sleeper".

I do miss the Supra "cockpit", but the extra gadgets in the Aristo make up for that.

Overall

I'd still rather have the Supra than the Aristo, but as a 1-car family, the Supra just doesn't (quite!) cut it, practically.

Compared to other cars, the Aristo does feel a bit out-of-date. If you're going to carry a big lump, I'm thinking a bigger N/A would be a better drive for a "luxury barge". Personally, there's other cars I'd probably rather have (W12 Phaeton? New M5?), but the Aristo is less than a quarter of the price of anything of equivalent performance.

So - for your "poor mans supercar 4 seater" - I say wholeheartedly, "YES - thanks for the compliment!!". :D

Edited by Snooze (see edit history)

THE BAD

The Aristo autobox is, to be fair, pants. Again - not necessarily a fair comparison, as I came from a manual Supra, but it's a common opinion.

Just to clarify from my experience of an Aristo (Mk1 not a mk2 that Snooze has) the autobox was as identical in operation to the auto TT supra I had previously ie fine :)