The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to reduce exhaust noise

DSK

My car currently has the following;

Whifbitz UK spec double de-cat pipe kit

Motoria stainless steel cat back exhaust system

I use my car for motorwary journeys and prior to the de-cat with the Motoria s/s system it was actually OK but roared when you opened the throttle a decent amount so was justa bout right.

Now that I have de-cats, the car is, for my liking, very loud especially when you are just pottering about as gently as you can around town. I would like to reduce the noise levels. Can fellow members please advise on an exhaust or setup that would shut it up? (I don't have an endless wallet).

Youtube Video of my current exhaust at idle.

Motoria Information;

http://www.motoria.co.kr/viewproductfromgroup_3_e.html

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

I'm, not into drilling etc. Would rather look at options such as a replacement quieter exhaust.

The ECV unit seems quite pricey for just a valve. I'd rather keep this as a last resort should I be unable to find a quiet exhaust system.

I'm, not into drilling etc. Would rather look at options such as a replacement quieter exhaust.

The ECV unit seems quite pricey for just a valve. I'd rather keep this as a last resort should I be unable to find a quiet exhaust system.

Tanabe Medallion is your choice if it comes to quiet exhaust.

Tanabe Medallion is your choice if it comes to quiet exhaust.

I'll add this to the list before I start to shop. I will be looking to get something around the end of January 2010, until then I will have to make do but it give me time to research for the correct replacement.

the valve thing isnt for someone who wants a quiet exhaust all the time. thats when you want it quiet when your pulling out of there you live etc and then open it later. running the valve close all the time it just going to act at a restrictor ring or something. Its also going to increase your egts if you have it closed all the time.

the valve thing isnt for someone who wants a quiet exhaust all the time. thats when you want it quiet when your pulling out of there you live etc and then open it later. running the valve close all the time it just going to act at a restrictor ring or something. Its also going to increase your egts if you have it closed all the time.

and thats the whole point of de-cats as well in the first place hence why i am not keen on the valve ideal

The ECV works quite well if you're just cruising about, and doesn't cause any problems with EGTs etc, as when closed or at least closed enough to quieten things, it won't allow you to boost.

I have the same system, and i would quite like to quieten it down permanently, i did look into welding another absorption type silencer into it, but have not got around to it yet.

The Blitz RX was something I was interested in before, however i'm thinking a twin box may help add a bit of restriction to help gain some low end torque after BPU.

Pauls wensite doesn't appear to be working at the moment, so can't see which he has on offer.

These are the quietest cat back exhausts for the supra. Manufacturer's ratings are on a stock TT with cats still fitted, they'll all be a little louder with the cats removed.

Stock Exhaust - 87Db

Blitz NUR Touring (100% Stainless Steel) - 88Db

Blitz NUR RX (100% Stainless Steel) - 91Db

GReddy Ti-R (100% Titanium) - 92Db

Tanabe Touring (?) - 92Db

The Blitz RX was something I was interested in before, however i'm thinking a twin box may help add a bit of restriction to help gain some low end torque after BPU.

Pauls wensite doesn't appear to be working at the moment, so can't see which he has on offer.

The Nur spec RX will give more restriction that the Whifbitz twin box system for the TT (3"). That's been proved on my car, which wouldn't hold 1.4 bar boost (single turbo) with the Blitz unit. Replacing my exhaust for the Whifbitz one made a huge difference, and now it pulls 1.4 bar from 4kRPMish to the redline.

Edited by Gaz6002 (see edit history)

These are the quietest cat back exhausts for the supra. Manufacturer's ratings are on a stock TT with cats still fitted, they'll all be a little louder with the cats removed.

Stock Exhaust - 87Db

Blitz NUR Touring (100% Stainless Steel) - 88Db

Blitz NUR RX (100% Stainless Steel) - 91Db

GReddy Ti-R (100% Titanium) - 92Db

Tanabe Touring (?) - 92Db

Out of these quiet options which would weigh the least? Any ideas?

If you want less noise you should buy a clio 1.1:p

:D I lovbe hearing the car as its driven by someone else, but it is beyond stupidly loud. It can be heard for a shocking distance, great in making other traffic around you aware that you are there. Everyone thinks you're on it when I'm not which then leads to evry f*cking muppet wanting a pop (of course I won't let the Supra down, so conditions permitting I reluctantly have to give it a boot full).

Thanks for the sugesstions chaps. I will email Paul in the morning. :)