The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SVA parts

EdMorris

Firstly, I'm a post virgin, so be gentle with me...

After many years of pining for a supra, I've finally sold my soul to the devil and bought one. Its on its way from Japan as I write this and should be here in 5 weeks - YIPPEE!

My question is does anyone know of a good place to buy the SVA parts that I will need to pass the test? (without breaking the bank). Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, ED

AFAIK, it is normal practise for the SVA station to supply the parts whilst doing the test. I have not heard of anyone supplying the necessary parts to the SVA people before the test commences.

Are you saying that they will fit them as well as do the test? I was under the impression I would need to convert the speedo, modify the lights for fogs, etc. before going for the test? Maybe I've got my wires crossed.

By the way, its a N/A 6 speed in gunmetal, one owner, 38000 miles and said to be immaculate, but I'll let you when it arrives. It also has an HKS induction kit and 5Zigen exhaust. Whadda ya reck, 240bhp?

As requested I've attached some pics (I hope this works!).

Originally posted by Gaz Walker

Col,

I think he means like a foglight, MPH speedo, speedo converter etc :)

Gaz.

I always assumed that these parts were costed in to the total SVA charge when quted? :conf:

Depends on what your deal is with the company thats importing it for you.

My company, Bonsai, arranged for all the work to be done and all parts supplied. Most of them will do that.

Nothing a quick call wouldn't sort out.

Welcome to the BBS:)

I went for the private import route so no dealer here to call. Quite risky since it was all done over the internet. Saved loads though. Defo relieved when I heard it was actually on a boat!

P.S. everyones so friendly here :)

P.P.S here's another pic of the car (I can only seem to attach one at a time?!?)

Get the speedo converter from TRL ...

You can put a mph sticker on the jap speedo to cover the kmh bit

Stick a cheap and cheerful foglamp under the rear bumper. Then when its passed the test do the conversion on the rear lights to run the inner lamps as fogs.

Details on the TRL site

Matt

Yeah, I got the TRL speedo gubbings form Gareth at Envy (good service - cheers). I did have a question re. that though. If I want to have the speedo reading in miles, I'll need to change the current reading on the odo before I wire in the converter, right?

Also , got the wiring diagram from this site for the fogs. Is it best to leave that till after the test? Was gonna do it before.

Originally posted by EdMorris

Matt

Yeah, I got the TRL speedo gubbings form Gareth at Envy (good service - cheers). I did have a question re. that though. If I want to have the speedo reading in miles, I'll need to change the current reading on the odo before I wire in the converter, right?

Also , got the wiring diagram from this site for the fogs. Is it best to leave that till after the test? Was gonna do it before.

I think there's a rule in the SVA about how close your fogs are to the rear lights, so doing the fog conversion thing won't be good enough for the SVA.

You could change the ODO reading, but most people leave it and compensate by subtracting the difference. As long as you have some record of the reading before conversion this looks better to future buyers than fiddling the ODO. After all, you could set it to anything.