The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Body damage Help / advice required :o(

The-Plethora

Well I have had my supra around 3 weeks now, spent time cleaning everything up, steam cleaned the carpets, fixing stuff that needed fixing and had already booked a painter to sort minor paint defects, All was well until this evening.

I left a 40mph zone and entered the national speed limit (long stretch country road), I hadn't even got to 50 when WHACK! the bonnet flys up into the windscreen.

The pictures are fairly crappy quality but I would be greatful for any advice on repairs...

Side view of the bonnet, you can see how it has split, the paint (in the darkness at least) doesnt look too bad on it

Closer up you can see the fibreglass

More fibre looking towards the windscreen

Windscreen is cracked where the point of the bonnet hit it

Underside view of the bonnet, the cracks are in the middle where it flexed as it hit the windscreen

It has put a nice dent in the roof as well and I am not even sure what I am going to do with that yet, I will try and get some daylight pictures up.

I really dont want to go through my insurance as starting again with no claims is likely to be very expensive.

The bonnet is a Do-Luck and is likely very expensive, I know its hard to judge by looking at the terrible photos but do you think it could be sealed and painted again around the split edges? or would I need to buy a complete new bonnet and get it painted?

I checked the bonnet catches, mine has 2 catches but not sure if they are standard, the left one is fine but the right one is wedged open so looks like the culprit is the catch and when the wind got under it the left catch flew open.

What a shitty day :( Think I will have to miss out on the rolling road day now as well :(

When this is all fixed the first thing I am going to do is fit a secondary catch!

Edit: Added daytime pictures further down the thread also

Edited by The-Plethora
adding pics (see edit history)

It could be the end of the bonnet hard to tell by the pictures. You could repair the roof as long as your carefull when you are teasing the dents out,you dont want to stretch the metal as it will make the repair bigger and harder to get right.

You might also need a set of bonnet hinges as they have been wrenched back on themselves. I would of done it for you if i was closer to you. As above with the screen

Ok now I have stopped sulking for 5 minutes here are some daytime pictures of the damage, hopefully will give a better idea about if it is possibly repairable or time to go through insurance. A new bonnet is £1096! and will take 8 weeks or so to arrive so I need to consider all options.

Drivers side, you can see the windscreen crack hinge and where it went through the rubber weather strip

Didnt see this crack until now, it is only on the bottom though.

Dent on the roof, doesnt look as bad as when I saw it in the evening for some reason but still probably a tricky fix

Top of the bonnet itself looks to be in good condition, no cracks and even the paint seems undamaged

Passenger side hinge has damaged the weather strip here also

Bonnet seems to have cracked along the seam both sides

Underside view of the bonnet damage where it hit the windscreen.

Hopefully the pictures help give an idea on repair / replace advice. I want to avoid going back to a stock bonnett if I can. But I understand I am not the only person with a Do-Luck bonnet who has had their catch fail :D

Ah, I am a bit new to all this, so they might pull it into 2 halves entirely and re-seal it all? Would it be 2 gel coat sheets with fibreglass in the middle? It was more the strengthening ribs I was concerned about.

I just saw your company in your sig, shame you guys dont do cars!

I need to get the bonnet sorted first then i can claim for the windscreen without hurting my no clams, unsure of their position if they heard the bonnett hit it rather than a stone or something.

Ah, I am a bit new to all this, so they might pull it into 2 halves entirely and re-seal it all? Would it be 2 gel coat sheets with fibreglass in the middle? It was more the strengthening ribs I was concerned about.

I just saw your company in your sig, shame you guys dont do cars!

I need to get the bonnet sorted first then i can claim for the windscreen without hurting my no clams, unsure of their position if they heard the bonnett hit it rather than a stone or something.

we do grp repair which means anything in fibreglass,from boats to bumpers to caravan fronts.i have a top secret front bumper on my own car which was wrecked when i bought it.it wont be pulled in two that would cause more damage.the ribs once repaired will not loose any strength.the gell coat is just a waterproof finishing layer.basicly gell coat laid into the mould first then fibreglassed,when poped out the smooth gel coat becomes the finished surface.just has to be done the other way on a repair