The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bulge in sidewall of tyre

clarky666

Hi guys,

Was doing my fortnightly check last night and noticed my front left tyre had a bulge about the side of a 50p piece on the outside sidewall when i was checking the pressure. No cracks or other obvious signs of where it had been hit and no damage on the alloy so it hasn't clipped a kerb or anything.

Just wondering is there anything else that could cause this in terms of the alloy itself? Assuming i've hit a pot hole which has caused it and have driven her home straight from the garage and parked her up untill i can get another replacement sorted (Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3) as i know it's potential suicide driving around with it especially in current winter conditions.

Right bugger as well as the tyres are only about 1500 miles run in :taped:

Secondly with the age of the tyres in mind i take it it's fine just to replace the one and not worry about swapping them out as a pair. Wouldn't be ideal at £110+ a pop but don't want to take any chances in my first winter owning a Sup.

Thanks.

Steven.

If you're sure its not a kerbing (or similar impact) that has caused it then it could be a tyre defect.

Either way, as you mention, its fairly dangerous to drive at any real speed with it like that. Sounds like bad luck when you consider the age of the tyre on the car.

You should be fine changing it for new assuming the tread depth on the other tyres is not hugely different.

Edited by AJI (see edit history)