The mkiv Supra Owners Club

polishing metal help

w41k3r

Im wanting to have ago at polishing up a small piece of metal just wondering what i need? i know i will never get the effect ray gets as his work looks first class but id like ago myself to pass some time, im going to be using a dremmel so what pieces are needed to get the polished look?.

flat the alloy with 1500 wet and dry,then flat it with grade 2000 wet and dry,then buff it with metal polish,it will come up well,hope that helps,

spot on that Shaky, anything like this I also find requires preparation and patience plus the above as mention by shaky and it should turn out proper nice :D

First of all remove the paint coating from the clamp.

Nitromoors is good for this.

Applying compound, get the mop running and hold the compound against the mop softly for a couple of seconds. Little and often is the key.

Next step is to use a sisal mop and a compound called supercut 40.

This with time and patience will give you a dull but smooth finish for the second stage.

Clean the part.

Use a white stitch mop and a compound called sovereign green.

Using the mop go in the opposite direction to the previous stage.

This will give a nice shine and a good enough finish to go for chroming which i would recommend for the clamps.

You could go on a stage and use a calico g mop with a blue compound this has very little cut but will remove a few of the swirls from the second stage and give a final lustre to the piece.

Usual health and safety:

clamp the part down well

Use a mask and eye protection at a minimum.

Wear gloves

etc.

If you get it powder coated you dont have to anything other than give them to a powder coater :)

He then would chemically strip the parts, shotblast them, then powder coat them, also theres lots of colours now available so more versatile than chrome which is a bit old hat in my opinion but obviously down to whatever look your after.