The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I finally forked out my tenner :D

Magsy

Hello all!

I've been a tight bast, I've been following the forum closely for something like 18mths and now finally my wallet has opened :moo:

I've been toying with a supra off and on for ages, I had to put it off this time last year because I bought a house but now the time has come.

All sense is going out the window and I'm bloody having one :devil:

It's been so bad I've even had withdrawl symptons from forcing myself not to read the board (in the vain hope the need for supra ownership would pass!)

Anyway, I'm 23, live in S Wales (lets keep the sheep jokes for Cj eh?:)) Theres a couple a down this way but only one thats on this board (Peter? I see you quite often, always going slowly thou!!) On the whole still a reasonably rare sight which is nice.

I had a 325 for 3 years and now have a 328 auto. My old man conned me into buying it off him and I'm so fking sick of it you would not believe! I can't hack it any longer so its going.

I'm gonna be buying around june/july time, have about 10-12k so hopefully should get a nice low mileage jspec..

Everyone raves about the supra auto box but I'm not sure. I hate the BMW auto, it works fine and perhaps the car is underpowered for it but it just dont feel right!

Bugger is Elephant will insure me for 1000 on an auto and 1200 on a manual (wtf?)

What speed is each gear good for in an auto, or better still, speed per 1k revs?

Should I be bothered about the age of the car or just the mileage? There seems to be a ton on 93's around, some with only 30-40 thousand on them - does it matter?

Won't bore you more with anymore n00b crap, I've read just about every post here and think I am fully armed with info :p

Hopefully I'll be seeing you all somewhere soon!

Ian

Welcome dude :thumbs: I was a lurker for ages many moons ago before I joined,age IMO shouldnt have that bigger odds on your getting your car a couple of years here or there doesnt mean anything as Jap cars where all very individual and came with lots of extras,the BMW auto box is very different to the Supra one and Manual mode lets you play with her just like a manual car.

I got the 6spd manual as I preferred it but drive both (I did) for 2k less you can get a decent auto supra.

Also try Footman james and adrian flux- they gave me good quotes

Well done mate :) Seems you've done your research, which is definately a good start.

I had a 93 with 100k miles and it was a dream. To be honest I think its more luck than whether its old or high mileage. Supras are soo reliable its untrue. Just get one thats been well loved and you should be set :)

Howdie Dude!

Its difficult to say about the auto box as it sepends on what mode you are driving it in, if you have OD on/off etc.

As I am sure you have read everyone will recommend having a go in the auto as its reallly a superb bit of kit. I vowed never to have an auto, especially in a sports car, but ended up buying an auto after my first drive.

If you use it as a weekend car I would still get a manual but I cant fault my auto for daily driving. That said you may be bored of Auto's by now, but I'd defoinetly give it a go.

Happy hunting and welcome to the BBS:)

Thanks for the welcome guys! This place is much nicer than the BMW forum(s) *ducks!*

The BMW auto is 5 speed and has manual mode, which I use quite often. Not sure how good it is for the box, am I abusing it?! its not as smooth as when I got it :p

Interested in the gear ratios because in the BM first is very tall and second is good for like 80mph. Coming out of roundabouts etc theres no good gear - first is like a buckaroo and second is well out of the powerband. That said the Supra will have almost twice as much power so I guess its ok in any gear. Can you easily put the the Supra into first gear? (in the BM you need the stick in '2' and sport mode on - you cannot really lock it into first like you can for the other gears)

What sort of revs do you run at 90-100mph in top with an auto?

I need to drive some I know but down this neck of the woods they are few and far between, I'd need to drive to see one. Plus I have this long standing fear of going on test drives and finding the perfect car but not being in a postition to buy it!

I think in top gear 90-100 mph is about 3.5K RPM. You should consider that at a touvh of a button the car becomes a three speed that will do 125mph.

The difference will be that the car has bags of torque which helps acclerate from low revs, this is one of the things that make it so good to drive. That coupled with the fact that the 2nd turbo will fire at about 3.8K-4K RPM means you will always have fun.

The second turbo comes in like youe've just changed down a gear. This means in any gear at any revs you can accelerate very quickly.

The manual mode allows you to hold the car in any gear you like and 'low' (1st) and 2 gear are selectbale on the gear stick.

You are right you really have to drive one, take the OD off and leave it in drive and go play.

Magsy - welcome to the "Taffia" :D

If you give me a couple of weeks, my car will be back from dude and I can meet you in Swansea and take you out to show you what the auto box is like.

Mind you, the last time i took someone out (Goughy I think his name was) he left the car with big brown stains in his trousers! :D

Originally posted by Steve W2

I checked last night:

90mph = 3000 RPM

100mph = 3400 PRM

So I wasn't too far away;)

Redline is at 6500 RPM and the car does rev to that when you nail it:)

Steve just what I was looking for dude, many thanks!

So in top we are are looking at 30mph per thousand, which damn nice. 190 on the limiter, yummy :devil:

I have something like 28mph per thou in my BM in 5th and its really nice for crusing, of course the cars too gutless to pull but you can cruise :)

CJ wow, I was pretty sure your car was the one having the f+f job...double checked just now..damn right I want you to show me!!!! :stupid:

Fantastic offer mate which I'd love to take you up on, its a car I'd love to see anyway.

I'll more than glady stick some petrol in it for you or meet you somewhere because its too good to miss. Don't worry about the trousers I come prefitted with incontinence pants :D

Many thanks for the offer :D

Where are you from down here?

Originally posted by Magsy

Steve just what I was looking for dude, many thanks!

So in top we are are looking at 30mph per thousand, which damn nice. 190 on the limiter, yummy :devil:

I have something like 28mph per thou in my BM in 5th and its really nice for crusing, of course the cars too gutless to pull but you can cruise :)

No problems dude:) The UK supra's top speed is 170mph, the j-specs are a bit slower, but I would save that for the track!!

I a originally from "The Bronx" - Merthyr but emigrated a while ago :)

I still go down to Merthyr most every weekend to pick up my sons who still live there. As I say, the car should be back in a couple of weeks and we can then arrange a get together.

:thumbs:

I think I've been to merthyr about twice in my life, neither time did I stop :D

I'd imagine taking the car there post dude is going to cause quite a stir! Still thats what having a supra is about, being an attention wh0re :D

Originally posted by Steve W2

No problems dude:) The UK supra's top speed is 170mph, the j-specs are a bit slower, but I would save that for the track!!

Dude, what you been driving, a MKIII, I had mine at just under 175 down the M3.......... :innocent: :p

Originally posted by Ashley Willis

Dude, what you been driving, a MKIII, I had mine at just under 175 down the M3.......... :innocent: :p

Thats probably about 160 in real terms then. Speedos lose accuracy up at about that range;)

I don't go over 70 anyway:p

Welcome on board, Magsy. It's always nice to see someone moving away from BMW :)

Regarding your autobox question... I have quite a bit of experience of driving different auto boxes, and in my opinion that the BMW 328 auto is absolutely nothing like the Supra auto box.

The BMW box is designed to be smooth and slushy and comfortable for grey-faced businessmen on their way to whatever dull job they do, whereas the Supe box is designed to bring a grin to the face of the demanding manic Japanese driving enthusiast. It will change at the right time; it will change down at the merest hint of you wanting to overtake someone; it will kick down very quickly, especially with the overdrive turned off; it will not unexpectedly change up when you are hooning it round a roundabout; it will work with you to get the best out of the car. In short, the Supra autobox is your friend.

You get two less ratios than the manual (4 vs 6), but to be honest the Supra provides so much torque that you won't really miss them.

So, to summarise my babbling, the Supra auto is great, and the Supra manual is great, too - I'm just saying don't judge the Supra auto on the basis of the BMW auto :D Drive both types, see what suits your style.