The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting Cams

add heywood

I would not trust a "normal" garage with a cam upgrade on a Supra, most mechanics have never worked on the Supra engine, I would get one of the respected traders on here to do it, what are you looking to do?

you will need a remap after as well, also with the T88 if you are looking to release more power you may want to think about your stock engine and its life span, the T88 with more boost and 272 cams for example with be giving stock a engine a real workout

Edited by tooquicktostop (see edit history)

what are you looking to do?

you will need a remap after as well, also with the T88 if you are looking to release more power you may want to think about your stock engine and its life span, the T88 with more boost and 272 cams for example with be giving stock a engine a real workout

They are Brian Crower 264's. Was thinking of pushing things a little but not over the top, then in a year or 2 upgrade to a built engine (maybe one of these strokers Whifbitz are cooking up)

i suppose this is only necessary when they are new cams right?

They have about 3000 miles on them.

Surely shimming the valves is just a case of measuring the clearance between the cam and the buckets using a set of feelers? Obviously the cams would need to be torqued correctly and in the right order but thats what the manual is for. I can't see it being difficult at all. You can check and double check a million times before firing the car to make sure its right.

I might be over simplifying it though.

you will feel a difference with the T88 and 264's, the stock cams strangle the power at the top end, the T88 comes on so late you need as many RPM's as safe to get the best, a built head is going to be a must, uprated rods and ARP bolts should do it

Or go for a more modern turbo, a fast spooling 550 BHP turbo feels quicker than a T88 IMO

you will feel a difference with the T88 and 264's, the stock cams strangle the power at the top end, the T88 comes on so late you need as many RPM's as safe to get the best, a built head is going to be a must, uprated rods and ARP bolts should do it

Or go for a more modern turbo, a fast spooling 550 BHP turbo feels quicker than a T88 IMO

I keep thinking of upgrading turbo, maybe a t67 dbb. If I did I would want one that can hit about 750 bhp though for when I go built...

You wont get to 750 with a T67 mate

A T51 will get there, I am sure someone will tell us which new fangled billet turbo will do that also, bit behind the times on those :D

Yeah, it's the age old drivability vs power question....

I would have thought the T51 would spool roughly the same time as the T88 though?

Yeah, it's the age old drivability vs power question....

I would have thought the T51 would spool roughly the same time as the T88 though?

Never driven a T51 DBB, my T88 took an age to spool, even with the stroker kit, when it came on it was awesome, just never really get to use it as it demands such high RPM and a lot of clear road for the spool ! :D, a change to a T04Z made the car far faster, all be it down a little in power to 735 BHP

I just keep thinking if I go built in a year the T88 would really come into it's own. Does anyone know how much these turbo's can flow? (obviously with supporting mods)

Unless running race fuel and a massive rpm limit i think you are wasting your time with the T88 tbh mate, have you ever been in a T67 car? i think you would be truly shocked at the difference.

I just keep thinking if I go built in a year the T88 would really come into it's own. Does anyone know how much these turbo's can flow? (obviously with supporting mods)

You will be well into the 700's with high boost (1.8bar ish) and higher rev limit, it still comes on too late for me, you should try to blag a ride in one of the T67 cars on here, they may "only" make 600-640 but wow the power deliver is so quick and gives an almost unbeatable street car

edit, Jamie beat me to it !

Unless running race fuel and a massive rpm limit i think you are wasting your time with the T88 tbh mate, have you ever been in a T67 car? i think you would be truly shocked at the difference.

I haven't mate, only single Ive been in is my own. Although I did see how quick yours was when we were coming out of JAE lol