The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie...Headlamp advice

Guest Vlad

Hi

Just joined the forum today as I have recently purchased a J-Spec 1994 Supra.

I need to sort the plastic headlights out and have read about how you polish them, but is there a link somewhere on this forum to say how you go about refurbishing the headlights, as one of mine is full of condensation and looks hideous!!!

Many thanks

Guest suprastar380bhp

To get rid of the yellow lenses you need to get some buffing compound (cutting compound that they finnish freshly painted cars off with from a paint shop? and buff the yellow off with a buffer fitting ie the end of a drill or something like that elbow grease will take for ever and will not do a good job

But if it is full of steam there is a leak

Find the leak, Hair dryer it, Then patch the leak up somehow

Only when it rain hum?

If you dry them, is there a problem with water marks being left on the inside of the lens?

£320 is too much for my pockets....I just want the lights to look a lot better than they are now.......is there a way to split the headlights and clean them from the inside?

If you dry them, is there a problem with water marks being left on the inside of the lens?

£320 is too much for my pockets....I just want the lights to look a lot better than they are now.......is there a way to split the headlights and clean them from the inside?

Blimey, wait until it is due a service and a set of tyres !

Ok.....I'm still in the dark on this one.

1) Can you split these headlights, clean them from the inside and then reseal....if so is there a "How to" on this site that explains how to do this?

2) I understand how to clean the outside of the lenses, ie with cutting compound etc.

Many thanks

Hi

Put lights in oven at 100c for 10 mins and they will split with a screw driver, the gule will scrape out of the gutters too while its still warm....

I did this and painted mine black inside while they were apart and glued them back together with tiger seal, job done....

i do hope you have done it properly with no leaks cause if not, good luck trying to seperate them again using tiger seal :blink:

I'm lucky that I have a mate, who does mates rates at £20 an hour and can put his hand to most things and looks after my Skyline and I'm kind of thinking that my basic non turbo Supra is on the lower end of servicing costs for Supra's

Hi

Put lights in oven at 100c for 10 mins and they will split with a screw driver, the gule will scrape out of the gutters too while its still warm....

I did this and painted mine black inside while they were apart and glued them back together with tiger seal, job done....

Excellent.....many thanks....just what I was looking for.

I'm lucky that I have a mate, who does mates rates at £20 an hour and can put his hand to most things and looks after my Skyline and I'm kind of thinking that my basic non turbo Supra is on the lower end of servicing costs for Supra's

you'd be wrong, plug leads alone are £110 :p

£320 barely touches the sides for a proper full service nevermind tyres aswel :blink:

you are sort of mis quoting the fella, he is right in that "£320 goes a long way towards fitting x2 tyres and a service" ....you are then commenting about the cost of a "proper full service".

His version x2 tyres and an interim oil/filter change and inspection £320 seems adequate............a proper service could I suspect come up to nigh on £1,000 with the 2 tyres?

Bottom line is he knows his money is better left to spend on the servicing than cleaning the lights which he can DIY, let's not beat him up for not having a open cheque book, eh?

im not beating on him.... :blink: im simply saying that a proper service even on an NA is not cheap, i know this cause im in the trade and i know the costs plus a good set of rears alone are anywhere between 100-200 a tyre

Although I accept the cars are getting to an age where some of these are breaking down they are not strictly a service item are they?

id replace them no questions asked, bare in mind that most na's on the road have never had them changed since they came out of the factory. Thats 15 years on the same plug leads. Every NA ive worked on always has the same problem, coil lead from the coil to the centre of the dizzy is always corroded and stuck in.

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

you are sort of mis quoting the fella, he is right in that "£320 goes a long way towards fitting x2 tyres and a service" ....you are then commenting about the cost of a "proper full service".

His version x2 tyres and an interim oil/filter change and inspection £320 seems adequate............a proper service could I suspect come up to nigh on £1,000 with the 2 tyres?

Bottom line is he knows his money is better left to spend on the servicing than cleaning the lights which he can DIY, let's not beat him up for not having a open cheque book, eh?

The mans got it in one:)