The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie saying hello!

Guest MAC RS

Just joined the forum looking for a bit advice, I am thinking of purchasing a uk spec supra.

I have been looking through the classified section and there seems to be a few for sale. What is the main thing I need to look for with regards to big bills and common problems?

I have just sold my RS6 and I am looking for a new beast!:cool:

Thanks in advance!

Also, are there any UK spec owners in Newcastle/Northumberland area?

Mac

Guest suprastar380bhp

Be nice and listen to what everyone has to say, even the tripe! It counts.

The uk model is the best but it has alot of years of salt abuse from the english rainy snowy roads look for a bad under carrage and in the wheel arches :)

Edited by suprastar380bhp (see edit history)

Be nice and listen to what everyone has to say, even the tripe! It counts.

The uk model is the best but it has alot of years of salt abuse from the english rainy snowy roads look for a bad under carrage and in the wheel arches :)

You may want to read the forum a little more. The UK spec cars have more undersealing to deal with the salty roads and so are no more prone to rust than a j-spec.

UK spec is good, j-spec is good. Depends what you want from a car. I have had 2 j-specs and a UK spec. I prefer my j-specs. They are lighter, turbos spool quicker and are easier to find.

Guest suprastar380bhp
You may want to read the forum a little more. The UK spec cars have more undersealing to deal with the salty roads and so are no more prone to rust than a j-spec.

UK spec is good, j-spec is good. Depends what you want from a car. I have had 2 j-specs and a UK spec. I prefer my j-specs. They are lighter, turbos spool quicker and are easier to find.

(1)totally agree

(2)insurance pushes people towards uk spec? please branners>?

(1)totally agree

(2)insurance pushes people towards uk spec? please branners>?

A fella that had an RS6 probably isnt as concerned with insurance as joe bloggs :p

Welcome along btw

If your content with a J-Spec i'd go and talk to Jurgen. He's local to you and comes highly recommended for importing

Welcome, see you got some sound advise above. I'd recommend you have a look around the forum when you have a chance. Loads of good information to finding about things about the car you are about to buy. Plus you will look more knowledgeable to the seller who might try & fob you off. :)

Thanks for the info!

Believe it or not my insurance for the RS was only £360.00 a year fully comp.!:D

I have always fancied a supra since about 12 years ago, but never really got round to one, I think back then I was too young and they were too expensive!!

I did think about one seriously about 4 yrs ago but my wife had our second child and I bought an M5 instead.(4 door excuse!;))

I have always fancied a uk car mainly for the bonnet scoop,TT, and leather interior. I was under the impression it was only UK spec cars with these and glass hadlamps??

Like I say I dont have a great knowledge of these cars, just what I have read years ago. I only started looking properly this week and found this forum.

The other thing which sort of put me off a jap import was the fact that most of them had been modded with bodykits etc, no offence to people that have done that but I kind of like them as they are. Obviously everyone has different tastes.

Judging by what the UK spec cars are selling for I may have to look into an import as an option. What exactly does a J-spec comprise of which is different to a Uk spec? Is it mainly turbos?

Thanks

Mac:)

You know what your after and i'd honestly speak to Jurgen, he'll get the exact car your looking for (obviously not uk spec)

All these mods your looking for can be done to the j-spec to make it look like a UK spec. As far as mechanically they are almost the same, i'll try find the comparison thread

EDIT http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=59334

There are quite a lot of differences between the models. The UK car has some nice extra's but also some not so nice ones. Plenty of threads on here that explain these in detail (also see techincal reference section and model difference guide)

What sort of budget are youlooking for? If I were in your shoes and had a reasonable budget I'd go to Jurgen on here and have one imported to spec - i.e. late model RZ, unmodified with all the options. They were made up until 2002 in japan so if you have the money can get a low mileage, mint, unmolested jspec.

Also, in my experience, the *good* fresh imports tend to be in fantastic condition and are not normally messed with too much. I'd prefer one over a 12 year old UK model that's spent all those winters on UK roads.

There are two nice looking stock uk's at a garage (unfortunately) down south..........they are not cheap but they look very clean/genuine.

See the stock list here http://www.evansautos.co.uk/

there are also a couple of very nice late model J-specs for sale right now as well...........again a bit pricy (autotrader £9,800 & £10,000) but look like well cared for examples.

Quick question !

Do booster seats fit in the back or are the kids getting the bus!!:p

Good question, yes you can get booster seats for the little ones, but obviously due to the cars age they don't have the modern fitment clips (can't remember what they're called now!). There's quite a few people here who have kids seats in the rear. I beleive the problem comes when they get a little big for those seats :D

Insurance of an import vs UK spec is generally a little higher. You need to shop around more to get the best prices.

But, somebody like Admiral will insure an import with 3 mods on it for around £450 or less.

The club insurer, Sky, can also do some good deals.

I have had a number of kids seats in the front and rear of mine. They do fit quite well, but the front seats need to be pulled forward to give them leg room. I'm 5'9 and can fit a 5 year old in the passenger seat behind me and an 8 year old on the other side.