The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what to do

boromfccup

hi its been a while, had my supra tt for 3.5 years now, had my first accident, in my life 2 weeks ago, the other guys admitted full liability, any way, its been wrote off basically for a bumper, and a dint on my bonnet, as i already accepted, the claim money, what to do and how much to sell it for, its bpu, with profec b on ,fmic full body kit gz model 11months mot, 4 tax heres the pic before,ill get after ones up, any ideas, please post, i could try to get a 199 bonnet and a 199 bumper which will be a cheaper option its on a cat d. i might get a 6 speed will put pics up when fixed

Edited by boromfccup (see edit history)

I am learning Greek and find that easier to read than the above post :blink:

OK, am I right in thinking that what you are saying is that the car has been writen off but you have managed to buy it back off the insurance company? :blink:

i thought it was pretty, clear but there you go, yep ive been settled by the insurance, and bought it back off them, waht will i fetch on the market repainted, or , get a painted bonnet, and bumper, which might be cheaper for me, but, doesnt affect what i sell it for

Edited by boromfccup (see edit history)

I would look at the for sale section and see what other cars are selling for and then reduce yours accordingly as it will not be worth as much as it is an insurance write off - albeit a Cat D.

Please note that I said what others are selling for not what others are asking - there is usually quite a disparity.

Why are you selling it? And isn't writting a TT Supra off for £450 a bit odd? Did you not contest it? Why are you paying insurance if you're not getting a £450 repair out of them... On a non-fault claim, which would cost your insurance company nothing anyway?!

It didn't make a lot of sense to me either. :blink:

Why are you selling it? And isn't writting a TT Supra off for £450 a bit odd? Did you not contest it? Why are you paying insurance if you're not getting a £450 repair out of them... On a non-fault claim, which would cost your insurance company nothing anyway?!

the money was for me to fix it respray bumper, bonnet. the intercooler had some bent fins, and i quoted them a 3 row greddy from envy 1395.00, plus veiside front bumper from america 900 delivered, car hire cost, labour, plus vat,labour at toyota is 80.oo per hour, soon got near 4k plus waiting for bits to come in, car hire extra whist waiting soon adds up at toyota, also toyota bonnet 892.00, got bonnet now just a bumper to get

Edited by boromfccup
personal (see edit history)

So basically you gave them the most expensive quotes you could find and therefore they wrote it off.

You should have given them a realistic quote, then you would have had it fixed instead of now having to fix it yourself and then being stuck with a cat D car that nobody will want to buy for more than £1000

Edited by jackso11 (see edit history)

So basically you gave them the most expensive quotes you could find and therefore they wrote it off.

You should have given them a realistic quote, then you would have had it fixed instead of now having to fix it yourself and then being stuck with a cat D car that nobody will want to but for more than £1000

get more than a 1k for engine, it has greddy on intercooler and veilside on spoiler, so no not really, you cant buy cat d from a salvage yerd for less than 2.5k

heres what this standard went for

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1267444.htm

hi its been a while, had my supra tt for 3.5 years now, had my first accident, in my life 2 weeks ago, the other guys admitted full liability, any way, its been wrote off basically for a bumper, and a dint on my bonnet, as i already accepted, the claim money, what to do and how much to sell it for, its bpu, with profec b on ,fmic full body kit gz model 11months mot, 4 tax heres the pic before,ill get after ones up, any ideas, please post, i could try to get a 199 bonnet and a 199 bumper which will be a cheaper option its on a cat d. i might get a 6 speed will put pics up when fixed

I genuinely found this post hard to understand as well. You're raising several points here, and they need to be dealt with separately (not different threads, but not in the same sentance either).

So the other guy's insurer offered you some settlement money to write off your car and you accepted it. As part of the deal you get to keep the salvage.

Is that correct?

You're now wondering what to do with the salvage. As others have said, you need to get a realistic estimate of the market value. In principle I wouldn't mind buying a Cat D write-off, but I'd want to know as much as possible about the damage that caused it to be written off in the first place. As you probably know, Cat D is the least severe of the write-off categories and cars can be Cat D'd for relatively minor damage. If yours needs a new bumper and dint sorted out on the bonnet, but the rest of the car was straight then that wouldn't put me off as a potential purchaser.

As with non write-offs, much depends on the overall condition of the car, the colour, the mileage, the quality of the repairs (if you get them done before selling), etc.

I genuinely found this post hard to understand as well. You're raising several points here, and they need to be dealt with separately (not different threads, but not in the same sentance either).

So the other guy's insurer offered you some settlement money to write off your car and you accepted it. As part of the deal you get to keep the salvage.

Is that correct?

You're now wondering what to do with the salvage. As others have said, you need to get a realistic estimate of the market value. In principle I wouldn't mind buying a Cat D write-off, but I'd want to know as much as possible about the damage that caused it to be written off in the first place. As you probably know, Cat D is the least severe of the write-off categories and cars can be Cat D'd for relatively minor damage. If yours needs a new bumper and dint sorted out on the bonnet, but the rest of the car was straight then that wouldn't put me off as a potential purchaser.

As with non write-offs, much depends on the overall condition of the car, the colour, the mileage, the quality of the repairs (if you get them done before selling), etc.

cheers for response, very very minor damage, ill get some pics posted

the money was for me to fix it respray bumper, bonnet. the intercooler had some bent fins, and i quoted them a 3 row greddy from envy 1395.00, plus veiside front bumper from america 900 delivered, car hire cost, labour, plus vat,labour at toyota is 80.oo per hour, soon got near 4k plus waiting for bits to come in, car hire extra whist waiting soon adds up at toyota, also toyota bonnet 892.00, got bonnet now just a bumper to get

I'm not sure I understand. You quoted to the insurance company over £4k for a repair, which they will most definately not accept - thus writing the car off. Did you do that on purpose?

You should have given them a realistic quote, then you would have had it fixed instead of now having to fix it yourself and then being stuck with a cat D car that nobody will want to buy for more than £1000

I agree with what you're saying here. Parts could have been repairs instead of replaced for a cheaper quote. And then he'd have a non-written off, professionally repaired Supra that he could sell for a lot more than a Cat-D.

get more than a 1k for engine, it has greddy on intercooler and veilside on spoiler, so no not really, you cant buy cat d from a salvage yerd for less than 2.5k

Veilside spoiler drops value doesn't it? :D

Maybe you could break it and make more money? With the market as it is, prices are dropping. Trying to sell a write-off in a market like this is going to be hard unless it's really really cheap.

£892 for a bonnet and an original veilside bumper for £900 from the US!

Thats £1792 of parts that could easily have been purchased in the UK for £500 sprayed and fitted.

Not suprizing it has been written off. Its quotes like this that bumps up insurance for the rest of us.

Surely the insurance company would have sent out their own assessor to assess the damage? Surely they do a lot of this kind of thing and are going to realise a new bumper and slightly dented bonnet is not going to cost £4k?

They'd want to get away with paying out as little as possible, which wouldn't be just writing the car off.

Surely the insurance company would have sent out their own assessor to assess the damage? Surely they do a lot of this kind of thing and are going to realise a new bumper and slightly dented bonnet is not going to cost £4k?

They'd want to get away with paying out as little as possible, which wouldn't be just writing the car off.

A very sensible reply, but don't call him Surely. :)