The mkiv Supra Owners Club

charcoal canistr removal

Chris and Alana

I removed my charcoal canister and cant quite understand these instructions as its on the wrong side of the car http://mkiv.com/tmp/no_charcoal_canister/

I understand that there are two pipes that I connect together and one I cap off. But what pipes do they translate to when the pipework is different on RHD cars?

Do I cap the hard pipe that runs along the plenum and join the two next to the bulkhead?

No that article isnt very clear yet every thread I have looked at keeps refering to it :( As far as gather from trying to understant the pipework, you should cap the pipe running next to the plenum (which seems to be connected to the pressure tank and therefore must be under postive pressure to purge the canisiter) and join the two at the bulkhead (one being from the fuel tank and the other goes to the intake side of the TT setup so should be under negitive pressure to pull the fumes out the fuel tank) but Im not 100% sure and that would mean that the pic in post 2 is wrong.

No that article isnt very clear yet every thread I have looked at keeps refering to it :( As far as gather from trying to understant the pipework, you should cap the pipe running next to the plenum (which seems to be connected to the pressure tank and therefore must be under postive pressure to purge the canisiter) and join the two at the bulkhead (one being from the fuel tank and the other goes to the intake side of the TT setup so should be under negitive pressure to pull the fumes out the fuel tank) but Im not 100% sure and that would mean that the pic in post 2 is wrong.

Yeah you are right. You block off the one next to the plenum and join the other two.

With a lot of Skill...

but really it not as much as a problem as it looks, once the oil is warm you give it change to drain most of it back to the engine so when you unscrew it there may be a small dribble but I generally have a lot of paper towels just under the filter to catch them. I'd much rather have that than struggle with the original position.

MY thoughts exactly, I have mine located at the bottom of the LHS chassis leg angled rearwards beside fuel filters, so my changes could not be easier or cleaner :)

• 10 months later...

:think:

I have looked into the charcoal canister removal mod, and it appears that no one has thought the job through properly!

Much of this information can be found by scrolling down to DI 75 in the Workshop Manual PDF in link. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/search.php?searchid=5339033

The Supra fuel tank and pump are designed to operate at a positive pressure of 2psi.

The fuel filler cap, is a 2psi relief valve, maintaining pressure on charcoal filter up to 2psi and gently venting excess.

Without the pressure drain gurgling through the charcoal filter, the cap has a little more relieving to do.

3 pipes on charcoal canister, listed below with direction of flow.

1 goes to induction vacuum.

1 comes from fuel tank.

1 goes to drain.

Remove vacuum pipe from inlet manifold and cap it off.

Pipe to fuel tank can be capped, or removed completely and blanked off on tank.

Drainpipe can be left open, or removed completely.

Simples !

A tidier job and minor weight reduction is made by removing pipes and blanking at source.

(An even simpler explanation is; remove it and blank off the pipes.)

ANY other plumbing arrangement is a Supra Old Wives Tale and WILL cause 'issues'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:sos: :wtf: # :limp::secret: # :wasnotme: Supra Old Wives Tale :baa::baa: # :wasnotme:

:tumble: :tumble:==================

:scare: :scared: :tumble: :tumble:=============

:amen:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:telephone::run::hunter:

BUSTED

:thumbs:

Edited by David P
:rlol: (see edit history)

the 1 you cap off is the 1 that goes to the hard pipe which runs along the bulk head.

dont think thats right?

i blocked off the one that goes to the plenum also, then bent the other hard pipe down to the ground. that pic looks asif its sucking the fumes back into the system?

:think:

I have looked into the charcoal canister removal mod, and it appears that no one has thought the job through properly!

The Supra fuel tank and pump are designed to operate at a positive pressure of 2-psi.

The fuel filler cap, is also a 2-psi pressure relief valve.

3 pipes on charcoal canister, listed below with direction of flow.

1 comes from fuel tank.

1 goes to induction vacuum.

1 goes to drain.

Just cap the end of pipes connecting to fuel tank and inlet manifold.

Drainpipe can be left open, or removed completely.

Simples !

If anyone is not capable of looking to see which is the drainpipe, just cap off all three.

A tidier job and minor weight reduction can be made if the pipes are removed and capped at source.

ANY other plumbing arrangement, WILL cause 'issues'.

The plumbing looks different on N/A and T.T. engines, but serve the same purpose.

Have done this to my N/A with no issues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:sos: :wtf: # :limp::secret: # :wasnotme: Supra 'old wives tale' :baa:# :wasnotme:

:tumble: :tumble:====================

:scare: :scared: :tumble: :tumble:===============

:Popcorn:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:telephone::run::hunter:

BUSTED

:thumbs:

That surely is a record for the most about of smiley's used in one post! :D