The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID flickering lightly

bodilx6

I've just got myself a new set of HIDs after a blup in my old set went dead. It started only turned on once in a while, then flickered and died.

Now, got a new set with ballasts + bulbs and all is well on the passenger side but the drivers side light is flickering very very lightly. You only really notice it when looking at the light projected on for example another car in front of you at a light.

What can this be? Is it the ballast? Can it be the same thing that killed my old bulb (didn't notice that flickering untill the end though)

I have measured a 12.5V on the connection to the ballast which is actually more than I have on the passenger side where it works fine.

Any ideas?

Same thing happened to me, you have to undo everything, check you have the right polarity and push the connectors home really well, this sorted the light flickering for me and I never had the problem again :)

I'd try this, my drivers side is not connected as well as the passengers side & sometimes I the HID does not come on. After a squeeze of the connection it is fine. Chances are the connection as mentioned above are not 100% home.

Quality HID kits normally have that loom as part of the kit.

Yep, everything fits nicely. No splicing was needed, and even the power plug fitted the OEM one. I can go scratch the connectors with something shart in the hope they are a bit tired, but that is about it. Everything was new and with "click connectors", so they should sit as good as they can.

But hey, if there is nothing else that could be the problem, there is only one way for me to go.