The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension question/opinion

danger_supe

Hey iv been gettin knocking noises from the front. Had it investigated and been advised tht the shocks r causing the noise and advised I get them replaced. I was wondering what other owners have fitted to their supes? I will be lookin to replace shocks and springs all round. Might as well. I honestly don't know what the right combo will be, iv searched for hours on here and google. My supe is a daily driver and mayb the odd track day so mayb should look at adjustables? Does anyone have any combo suggestions? It's a 93 jdm NA I hav, I read that supes hav bilstein shocks as standard, is this the case for both uk and jdm? If so am I best to replace with bilstein?

I know it's a personal choice but would be great to hear what you all have done and what fits/works

Thanks in advance all

dave

My re valved new, German made Bilsteins with my new custom springs sound ideal, and are long lasting and high quality. I can add height adjustment for a modest extra cost.

Hi Chris

thanks for the feedback, do you have a website or a link or pics i could check out, what sort of prices are involved for both a non-adjustable and adjustable height setup? do you also do adjustable damper/stiffness setups?

cheers

Dave

I am building up a set for someone else here, I'll photo them and post here. I do not do adjustable damping units save for Proflex ones, but you are talking a grand a corner here. None adjustable height Bilsteins with springs are 800 a set, with 4 additional height settings an extra 80 pounds. VAT is in addition. Thanks.

I am building up a set for someone else here, I'll photo them and post here. I do not do adjustable damping units save for Proflex ones, but you are talking a grand a corner here. None adjustable height Bilsteins with springs are 800 a set, with 4 additional height settings an extra 80 pounds. VAT is in addition. Thanks.

thanks mate, i will see what you post up. i guess it would be non adjustable (dampers) but may consider height adjustable option. still investigating this and looking around, i have a local garage on stand by to fit for me when i find a set. pardon my total n00bie question but coilovers are a complete set ie dampers and springs yeah? so i have that option or source springs and dampers independently? do you know if the supes have bilstein shocks as standard, i have also heard that they use kyb shocks so i am a little confused what the standard setup is, whether its specific to JDM supes or what.

thanks again for your reply

cheers wilson, i have checked them out and may be an option. i am now wondering after seeing the price of replacing these on average for normal day use but with a bit of a sporty feel, id be looking at least £1k incl fitting which is a little out of budget, i may speak with the garage again and see what he thought the condition of the springs were, i may not have to replace the if they are still in decent nic....

CW, i read that you can source the bilstein shockies in stock form and wondered if you have a price for each:

B46-1792 Shock Absorber BILSTEIN - B6 SPORT

B46-1793 Shock Absorber BILSTEIN - B6 SPORT

thanks guys, youve been really helpful :)

ok so i have been hunting around and reading about different setups and i am sort of hovering around:::

Bilstein B6 Sports Shocks - http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/detprod.asp?productcode=B46-1792&PID=823385 or from CW

OR

Koni adjustables - http://garagewhifbitz.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=7540&category_id=2309&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53

Koni's are cheaper AND have the adjust feature which may come in handy given that i'm planning a trip to experience the Nurburgring later next year...but if Mr T put Bilstein shocks on as standard on some Supes then it must have been for a reason!

So apart from that i think i need to marry them up with springs, i dont want to lower it too much, already riding on 18" rims but could maybe get away with another 10-20mm drop up front and maybe 10mm at the back?

ive checked out tein and from what i have found they offer quite a drop around 30mm and found these:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m14b218s1752p7002 - a little confusing the description on left says 35mm drop but the right hand side description says front 32mm and rear 20mm...

I have also found an eibach set on Ebay going for £215 offering a drop of Front 32mm and Rear 25mm.

anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

Edited by danger_supe (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

well after much hum and ho'ing ive bit the bullet and went for the Koni's with eibach lowering springs from Whifbitz (Cheers PW, and thanks CW for advise and help, much appreciated). Gonna be tackling this install in the newyr does anyone know of a how-to? and also if there are any special tools required to remove certain parts? (other than the spring tentioners) or any common problems that may arise? just trying to arm ourselves up!

Thanks again for everyones input so far :)

only just seen this thread,so may be a bit late now but i fitted some BC Racing coilovers last month and im well happy with them. Was about £650 for the set iirc

Guest Suprafly

On the BC website they're quoting £579 inc vat.

Hodge (shiney bits) on here has fitted a set to his new project and he reckons the BC coilovers are superb both for ride and handling.

you know i saw the BC Coilovers and i was tempted - i've read and heard that coilovers are adjustable from stiff to rock solid! and i really didnt want that at all. i have to say i was mighty tempted though, from what i read they are great value for money too. i have to start somewhere i guess, i have always had standard suspension on all my cars, apart from the late GT4 which had eibach lowering springs installed by prev owner.

oh and found the how-to! -- http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=177475

couldnt see the wood for the trees!

:)