The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aerotop roof flappy things

Scooter

what is the purpose of the two spring loaded bits on the leading roof edge ie above the windsreen?

they seem to just cause whistling and general wind noise and it seems better when i've reached up and held them down, so why are they there?

Originally posted by Scooter

what is the purpose of the two spring loaded bits on the leading roof edge ie above the windsreen?

they seem to just cause whistling and general wind noise and it seems better when i've reached up and held them down, so why are they there?

Without them the cockpit sets up a low frequency (and uncomfortable) resonance under 40MPH - so they disrupt the air flow to ensure it doen't happen

I use to stick mine down - but makes not a lot of difference

:thumbs:

Guest Rays the roof

I too made a bracket to hold mine down. Considerably reduces noise when you get to 80+ MPH. Don't find much difference below 40 MPH, but then again this is only at traffic lights!!

They also get in the way when I put the roof back on.

Although I successfully fooled my girlie by telling her they were 'additional wings like the big one on the back' the first time she saw them. After a little drive she calmly said 'They're wind deflectors for the cabin, aren't they?'

Bah.

Guest Rays the roof
Originally posted by 200SX Boy

They also get in the way when I put the roof back on.

Although I successfully fooled my girlie by telling her they were 'additional wings like the big one on the back' the first time she saw them. After a little drive she calmly said 'They're wind deflectors for the cabin, aren't they?'

Bah.

These damn women are gettin too clever this day and age... next thing they will understand the offside rule and why it is cool to see how far you can pee in the snow!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to top an old(er) thread - these things drove me potty over the weekend, is it okay to just blutack them permanently down or do they help with sealing the front for water leaks, etc?

Also, I take it there are no problems with regard to roof removal or refitting with them stuck down? (can't see how there would be but just incase I'm missing something).

Guest Rays the roof

Dave

They do not aid in sealing as this is the rubber strip.

I find it easier to locate and close the roof with the strips down. Any resonance as stated above?? I can't get any reverb, but then again I am deaf!!

Should be picking mine up from Reg Vardy's tonight and getting very excited as it's been in for 14 weeks. Sun is out.......

• 1 month later...
Guest Rays the roof

1. Take bracket off completely then remove 'flappy things' before replacing bracket.

2. I used double sided tape to test reverboration. Blue tack will probably vibrate free.

Well this is easy to fix. Just go with Ray's method 1 - remove the whole assembly.

The two flappy things are attached to a metal strip that goes across the top of the windscreen (in the little rubber 'valley' that the flappy things sit in). Undo the three screws holding this in, prise off the metal strip with a screwdriver (no force required, you just need something to get behind it to lift it out), and then put the screws back in the holes. Each screw has a little rubber washer for it, two of mine were still attached to the back of the metal strip so watch out for these. I put them back onto the screws before putting them back in the holes.

The black paint going across underneath the strip doesn't go all the way up to the holes, but the washers cover up a fair amount of this. If you're really worried a simple bit of touch up paint would fix it. Can't really see any rain/rust concerns.

Went out for quick spin afterwards - no low speed resonance, and no more wind noise at speed :thumbs:

I guess ideally you'd want to remove the flappy things from the metal strip and reattach the strip to be on the safe side, but I can't really see it being a problem. Anyway, job done.

Hey, hang on a minute... I think this qualifies as my first mod :cool: