The mkiv Supra Owners Club

wheels too big?

Guest suprastar380bhp

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest suprastar380bhp

ive been told if i do i need to wrap the springs with some dampeners that they use for towing caravans to stop the wheel arches from rubbing on the tyres or to get the arches rolled if i dont wanna buy new springs

20's are fine, the ride will just be a bit shite. They will be pricey if you want the right sizes and offsets though. You will most likely have to roll the arches as, in order to have a half decent ride quality, you will need to have a bigger rolling radius so that the tyre profile is decent.

Don't worry about people talking about the handling. My guess is, in most cases, they couldn't drive on 18's any better than they could on no wheels. I'm one of those people, I never drive on the edge so the handling of my 19's has never been an area of concern for me.

I do notice the difference in road noise, tram lining and comfort though.

Not an extremely wise idea to have 20"'s on your supra if you want the handling to be anyway reasonable. Some wheels in that size can look decent enough on a show car but thats about it really.

:iagree:

It is possible & all you really need to do is roll the arches to get them to fit, though this is just the first part. If you want to keep the Supra on the road then you will have to get a Geo setup & chances in order to have it running properly, most likely will be recommended some coilovers or a change of springs\dampers. This means it will cost a lot of money but handling will not be as good as say someone on 17's.

Hope this helps.

Are 20 inch alloys too big for the supra or will they fit?....

There's a great deal more to the science of correct wheels & tyre fitment than just the diameter.

You will need to consider wheel width and offset, tyre size and suspension set-up etc.

Without the above info then no one should be giving you any specific advice or else they are just 'bluffing it' IMO;)

There's a great deal more to the science of correct wheels & tyre fitment than just the diameter.

You will need to consider wheel width and offset, tyre size and suspension set-up etc.

Without the above info then no one should be giving you any specific advice or else they are just 'bluffing it' IMO;)

I think you will find that its not just bull, even with the correct offset, tyre size and suspension you will find 20" wheels will not handle anywhere near as good as 18" or 17".

In order to keep overall wheel diameter (which is what the suspension geometry was designed around after all)

you will need to run very low profiles to run 20" wheels, therefor completely destroying the ride quality and the handling, IF you then match the dampers and springs to compensate for the crap ride, that will also destroy the handling and lead to arch fouling as well.

Just my opinion, well just common sense really.

I think you will find that its not just bull, even with the correct offset, tyre size and suspension you will find 20" wheels will not handle anywhere near as good as 18" or 17".

In order to keep overall wheel diameter (which is what the suspension geometry was designed around after all)

you will need to run very low profiles to run 20" wheels, therefor completely destroying the ride quality and the handling, IF you then match the dampers and springs to compensate for the crap ride, that will also destroy the handling and lead to arch fouling as well.

Yep, I fully agree but if he wants 20's then he will need to conisder all parts of the equation;)

pay attention to this post.

My car felt sooo much better on 18's than 19's. 19's felt unsettled, 18's felt planted. My 30-130 time also dropped. I can only imagine what 20's will be like. I know people like Dimitri & Ernie both say that well setup 20's are fine, but as much as I respect them, on this subject I'm not convinced