The mkiv Supra Owners Club

noob with 5k to spend *advice*

scotty71

Hi guys,

As per my opening noob post I have roughly 5 - 5.5k to spend and have been looking for a while. Seen a 97 sz-r 6 speed manual and wondered if anybody knows this car as it is quite local to me and I may go have a look. It is below my budget but thats ok as I can spend some on some nice bits

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1360163.htm

I have asked for interior shots etc and other info as the ad on pistonheads did not go into great detail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scotty

Yeah I asked about the wheels as there are different front to rear!!! strange. A cheeky offer lol, my thoughts exactly. It looks pretty much standard but I have mailed the seller for more info:d

Scotty

Very "drift" to have different wheels at the back, or it could have had a smack on a rear wheel, always think the worst and hope for better and not the other way round, I have learnt the hard way many times

I would go with cash, have the full asking price but keep £500 in another pocket, offer £750 - £1000 below asking and go from there

Be prepared to walk away, there are plenty of cars about :)

BIG panel gap on the bonnet there!

It looks like either the ruibber strip is missing (making the gap look bigger than it is), or the front crash bar (and or poly padding) is missing. Mine looks a bit like that as the 4-row is HUGE and the crash bar helps keep the bumper in position, the side gaps look OK

Also the rubber stoppers on the bonnet if screwed out too far make it look a bit like that, check the bonnet sits flush with the wings at the edges

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

Thanks to the replies so far, I just want to find the best I can for the money. Not rushing into a purchase but want to view ones that I think I will not be disapointed in if travelling a good distance. With it being near Christmas it might give me a better barter :)

I did like JonathonC's Quicksilver but Scotland is to to far for a view :(

seen this on PH that I like http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1323716.htm but there are so many options manual, auto, 5 speed , 6 speed ,aerotop :D

Scotty

Your budget puts you in the mint/highly modified NA or stock older auto TT advertised price range, but with Christmas coming as you say your budget 'could' bag you almost any stock spec'd car if you are observant, lucky and quick to act.....

I'd be very tempted to push the budget a little further for possibly something like this......at possibly £6,500 if the seller gives a little............you could save £300 doing a leather interior swap if it made the difference. I think it would be a better deal than the NA you just posted......

If I could find a TT auto in decentish nick I would abviously go for that as I know a manual would be at leat 7-8k ish upwards. A mint NA I guess would be easier to source but with owning a 2wd Sapphire Cosworth for 3 years up till 08 when I sold it (bad mistake) hmmm I have been told that a NA would not give me the power and grin factor :D that my Cossie used to bring??

So. . . . unless Im lucky to find a decent TT auto at the right time at the right price I may settle for an NA manual and from what I have seen in the classifieds here there are many a nice Supra to grace my garage. But then again I like the Aerotop so might have to have auto. Decisions decisions :blink:

scotty

I am in Nottingham so could have gone to look at this one with you etc to offer a 2nd opinion.

Also with your budget, if you can afford to run a TT model (not too bad to be honest) then keep looking at the classifieds and be patient and ready to travel. There used to be enough reasonable looking/sounding early TT models cropping up often for around £5.5K

Im based South Derbyshire just off the A38 in a little village awaiting a roaring Supra to pass through!! Im not rushing but I see many cars on PH , classifieds here etc etc and I am doing my nut thinking do I travel to see that or not but after 3 years of Cosworth ownership I think a TT auto would be great but would not rule out a mint NA.

If any guys on here are pretty local to me and wouldnt mind taking me for a quick spin that would be great stuff ,and to have a good look around the car, but I know we all lead busy lives etcetc. Ill even chuck in 20 quid of Optimax:D

As for Jurgen, his cars he sources and his reputation speaks for itself on here and I have seen that after only being on here for a week but with my 5.5k budget his cars are out of my price range and rightly so as they are truely awesome. If anyone can help me out with a spin if your pretty local thats cool and I would really appriciate it as I guess it would help my search for my Supra.

Cheers for all your comments/help guys

Rob (scotty)

Im based South Derbyshire just off the A38 in a little village awaiting a roaring Supra to pass through!! Im not rushing but I see many cars on PH , classifieds here etc etc and I am doing my nut thinking do I travel to see that or not but after 3 years of Cosworth ownership I think a TT auto would be great but would not rule out a mint NA.

If any guys on here are pretty local to me and wouldnt mind taking me for a quick spin that would be great stuff ,and to have a good look around the car, but I know we all lead busy lives etcetc. Ill even chuck in 20 quid of Optimax:D

As for Jurgen, his cars he sources and his reputation speaks for itself on here and I have seen that after only being on here for a week but with my 5.5k budget his cars are out of my price range and rightly so as they are truely awesome. If anyone can help me out with a spin if your pretty local thats cool and I would really appriciate it as I guess it would help my search for my Supra.

Cheers for all your comments/help guys

Rob (scotty)

If you have owned, enjoyed and miss your turbo'd Cossie, DON'T get an NA, you will regret it and have trouble selling it on, get the best TT your money can strech to

• 2 weeks later...