The mkiv Supra Owners Club

problems i'm likely to come by

Guest petrol head

Guest petrol head

Hi i'm doing research before i really consider buying a supra and i just wanted to know what are the likely problems i will come by with a standard 3.0. any advice would be great

My BMWs have always used about 1ltr every 1,000miles (approximately) with various mileages from around 15,000miles > 130,000miles.

My Supra with 140K uses no oil even when driven at speed over long distances on the motorway. In fact, even my previous Supra and celica's didn't use any oil and they were driven very hard.

I dunno about the rest of the owners on here, but I've had a few problems since I bought mine.

1, Moddisease: an infectious disease that seems to start as soon as you start mixing with other Supra owners. The first signs are a strange dissatisfaction with the size of your stock exhaust. In months to come it spreads to depression on the performance, even though you thought it was the fastest car in the world when you first bought it.

The usual cure in the first instance is known as BPU.

If you have accidentally bought an N/A in error, Pistonheads may be able to help.

2, Privacy: You get no privacy in a Supra at all. Everybody who knows you will spot you every time you go out, especially if you were driving slightly over the speed limit at the time.

Every time you meet family, friends and acquaintances they will start the conversation with "I saw you the other day, you were"... !

3, Dissapointment: When you first got your car, you just knew it would be a pus babe-magnet - wrong !

Very old men in tweed jackets will stop and stare and young boys will shout "nice car" and give you the thumbs up.

Supra's seem almost invisibile to women (unless it's just me and my pervy leer that puts them off).

4, Raceaholicism: It creeps up on you, but over time you find yourself casually looking for big BMW's, Porsche & other exotic cars that are "going your way". When you see one in front, a manic expression comes over you face, your hands start to sweat slightly and your right foot seems to develop a mind of it's own.

Sadly, there is no known sure other than losing your licence.

Otherwise brill :D

Guest petrol head

well the reason i ask is my MR2 roadster eats alot of oil due to having oval bores, although it doesn't affect performance it's just a bit of a pain topping up every week plus the extra cost of buying oil on a regular basis.

dunno about the rest of the owners on here, but I've had a few problems since I bought mine.

1, Moddisease: an infectious disease that seems to start as soon as you start mixing with other Supra owners. The first signs are a strange dissatisfaction with the size of your stock exhaust. In months to come it spreads to depression on the performance, even though you thought it was the fastest car in the world when you first bought it.

The usual cure in the first instance is known as BPU.

If you have accidentally bought an N/A in error, Pistonheads may be able to help.

2, Privacy: You get no privacy in a Supra at all. Everybody who knows you will spot you every time you go out, especially if you were driving slightly over the speed limit at the time.

Every time you meet family, friends and acquaintances they will start the conversation with "I saw you the other day, you were"... !

3, Dissapointment: When you first got your car, you just knew it would be a pus babe-magnet - wrong !

Very old men in tweed jackets will stop and stare and young boys will shout "nice car" and give you the thumbs up.

Supra's seem almost invisibile to women (unless it's just me and my pervy leer that puts them off).

4, Raceaholicism: It creeps up on you, but over time you find yourself casually looking for big BMW's, Porsche & other exotic cars that are "going your way". When you see one in front, a manic expression comes over you face, your hands start to sweat slightly and your right foot seems to develop a mind of it's own.

Sadly, there is no known sure other than losing your licence.

Otherwise brill

very good lol. I am 5 ft1 so probably not many people will see me driving the supra they can barely see me in my MR2 i'm also a woman who is a petrol head and loves a bit of a thrill. i don't intend on doing anything to the car as i'm an engineer and i like the way things are built factory standard. no offensive to anyone who does do stuff to their car, i just like to be different. thanks for your replies again.

very good lol. I am 5 ft1 so probably not many people will see me driving the supra they can barely see me in my MR2 i'm also a woman who is a petrol head and loves a bit of a thrill. i don't intend on doing anything to the car as i'm an engineer and i like the way things are built factory standard. no offensive to anyone who does do stuff to their car, i just like to be different. thanks for your replies again.

I am sure the responses will now change to be more friendly now you have let the cat out of the bag ;)

i'm also a woman who is a petrol head and loves a bit of a thrill.

Well, depending on how you feel about old men in tweed jackets, maybe Gerry's quote could be a plus point. :D

BTW what age of MR2 do you have? The latest mk3 shape? I've always had a thing for the mk2 ones.

Guest petrol head
:blush: well i'm rare alright. lol i'm girl who played with cars as a kid, love engineering cars and motorbikes but also love my animals. not many men can hack it lol thanks or your replies again, now i'll have to think of some decent questions to ask you's.:cool: