The mkiv Supra Owners Club

question on Nic's HID kit/bulb

bodilx6

I've been using the HID kit Nic used to supply for a couple of years now.

One of the bulbs have gone dead and I need it replaced.

I'm guessing I'll need two, to make sure there are no differences between the two, right? (Nic's kit is 6500k, hard to find and I'm guessing the color changes slightly when the bulb has been used for some time now)

I can't get a hold of the Enon brand here, so if I get another brand that most certainly uses other plugs for the bulb, can I just cut the wire and solder it and there by use the ballast from Nic's kit or do ballasts only work with bulbs of their brand?

Can anybody recommend an online shop that has a large selction of HID bulbs here in the EU/UK that ships to mainland Europe

I've been using the HID kit Nic used to supply for a couple of years now.

One of the bulbs have gone dead and I need it replaced.

• I'm guessing I'll need two, to make sure there are no differences between the two, right? (Nic's kit is 6500k, hard to find and I'm guessing the color changes slightly when the bulb has been used for some time now)

• I can't get a hold of the Enon brand here, so if I get another brand that most certainly uses other plugs for the bulb, can I just cut the wire and solder it and there by use the ballast from Nic's kit or do ballasts only work with bulbs of their brand?

• Can anybody recommend an online shop that has a large selction of HID bulbs here in the EU/UK that ships to mainland Europe

To be honest, the cheapest way of doing it is to buy the full kit. You can get a decent new kit for around the £60 mark. Not sure how much postage would be but call it an extra £20 tops. You can then either sell on the ballasts or keep a hold of them as spares.

You are correct about the temperatures changing through use & time though so you would need 2 new bulbs to keep it even.

It's strange that you have had a failure. It is said that these bulbs should outlive any car. Yet another false claim :)

Fantastic "mod" though, one of the best on my car.

I got a HIDS4U.co.uk kit - very impressed with performance and quality at £97 + £5 delivery. They also offer bulbs separately for their kits should you ever find yourself needing a bulb in future.

Excellent company. Good back up too. Bit pricey but the quality is there. :)

To be honest, the cheapest way of doing it is to buy the full kit.

Might just do that in stead of having to splice wires and so on. It's just that it was a PAIN to get the ballasts nicely fittet in a good place.

It's strange that you have had a failure. It is said that these bulbs should outlive any car. Yet another false claim :)

Yep, I think that statement isn't worth a lot. Just talked to a guy dealing HIDs and he hears anything from months to years from customers. Even on the same brand. His guess on the variances in life time of the bulbs is how they are handled by people. Thouch the bulbs and they will be reduced in life expentancy

Excellent company. Good back up too. Bit pricey but the quality is there. :)

I looked at many kits but to be honest £60 Ebay stuff vs £97 for HIDS4U which are E/CE certified, digital ballasts with no interference, premium quality bulbs, 2 year no fuss warranty, 100% plug & play install, support and replacement items available as required..... makes sense to me.

Might just do that in stead of having to splice wires and so on. It's just that it was a PAIN to get the ballasts nicely fittet in a good place.

Something that might seal the deal for you is the fact that the modern ballasts are around half the size of the older ones. The slim versions would be much easier to tuck away neatly :)

I looked at many kits but to be honest £60 Ebay stuff vs £97 for HIDS4U which are E/CE certified, digital ballasts with no interference, premium quality bulbs, 2 year no fuss warranty, 100% plug & play install, support and replacement items available as required..... makes sense to me.

I hear what your saying, but I don't see the point in spending more money if you don't need to. ;) A few people on here have ebay kits and have had no bother at all.

This Ebay kit has all of the above, E/CE cert, slim ballast, plug and play and 2 year warranty. I have them fitted and they're great.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xenon-HID-Conversion-KIT-H1-H3-H7-H11-HB3-HB4-9006-H9_W0QQitemZ220486482784QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item335604bb60#ht_4916wt_817

My ballasts came with metal brackets. On the passenger side I screwed one down under the light. Drivers side is in a similar place. I just used one of the screw locations already there, rather than tapping a new one.

Thinner ballasts would have made it even easier.

My ballasts came with metal brackets. On the passenger side I screwed one down under the light. Drivers side is in a similar place. I just used one of the screw locations already there, rather than tapping a new one.

Thinner ballasts would have made it even easier.

Did the same. Under the passenger light, just beside the air intake/side light but the drivers side is more of a pain, especially if you want it out of sight as I did. I ended up putting it in front of the radiator not too far from the hook that grabs the bonnet.

Getting a new cheap kit today (70£ or so), so I'm looking forward to seing the size and especially the quality of the light. If that works out for low beam, I think I will get me some H3 bulbs and splice wires to the old ballasts and then use them for fogs. Found a pair of 6000k bulbs for 32£. If they dont work are bad or splicing doesn't work out, I'll just bin 'em for that price