The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi all, new to the club and wanting some buying advice

scotty71

Hi all, Im Rob from Derbyshire and just joined the club here :)

I am in the next two weeks on the hunt for a new car. This will be a weekend car/garaged and something I can pamper and take to meets and shows etc. I have in the past had Ford's, RS Turbos and a mint RWD RS Cosworth. I sold my Cossie 2 years ago :( now I have a bit of money coming I was tempted to return to the YB power lump!

I have decided not to go back to a cossie as Ive been there and done that and want to go Jap this time. Over the last few months I have been looking into getting Supra, Skyline R33, Subaru WRX/STI, or an Evo. After much thinking and pondering I have decided the Supra it is ;) So I join the forums and Im looking for some advice from the Supra forum :D

I have about 5.5k to spend but I could go to about 6k if really pushed. I have looked at some of the for sales on here and there are some nice looking Supra's and I have also looked on pistonheads daily for the last few weeks and missed out on a Black 93 plate auto TT with 88k on the clock and was pretty mint. It was up for 6250 but he said he would take 5800.

Anyway any advice on what I should be looking for for this kind of money (5.5-6k) please let me know as your the experts on all things Supra's. I would pref manual and an dont mind an aerotop and would consider an auto TT. any advise would be greatly apriciated. I have seen on the selling forum that manual n/a go for around 3.5 - 4k ? is this the right sort of price??

What are your thoughts on this http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1305010.htm

Your thoughts, recommendations and advice for my potential Supra purchase would be greatly recieved.

Many thanks

Scotty

be open minded about the auto; alot of people are put off by autos, but the supra autobox is sweet as a nut.

you mentioned you had a timescale in mind; if possible, try to find time to test drive an auto and a manual - there are cost implications involved pending on what transmission you want. you would more than likely pick up a tidier auto for the money youre looking at spending.

another thing to consider is, what you would eventually like to do with your new supra. if you think that someday you would like to do away with the twins, and drop a single turbo in (and believe me, you will consider it at some point), then a manual would be the better option. what state of tune are you after? i specifically wanted a car which was mechanically stock, so that i knew it hadnt been masively abused at high boost - i then went BPU.

one thing to bear in mind, and this is from my experience, other people may disagree. i have found supras to be a bit like strippers, you have to pay for the pleasure. be prepared to shell out on maintenance, especially if you buy an older car with higher mileage. but then replacing bits and bobs, and knowing that it has had things renewed is part of the fun

happy hunting

Guest horny_devil
Yeah thats looks good but not a fan of Chrome rims and Lambo doors and a bit too much of a show car for me.. a great lookin show car anyway. Not yours by any chance ;)

Scotty

no not my car!!!! its one of my m8s!!! my one will b on sale by end of this month!!

DSC00888.jpg

Welcome Scotty. :) Definitely try before you buy. I think you may be disappointed with NA performance coming from Cossie's and the like.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=67644

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=59334

These guides will help you out.

Try and get to a North East/west meet and ask a member if they'll take you for a spin. :)

I can recommend the NW lot. Friendly and they do pancakes.

Guest Phyxius

Hi & welcome!

Man im jealous of ye.....Wish I had my savings up to where I need them to be, but nontheless GL with your purchase and hope ye found one to buy!

Yes, as the guys above meantion, get to testdrive some first, feel your way through a future purchase...

I had a n/a auto and now have a manuel twin...in my opinion the auto box is really good. The feel of the car all apart the speed is about the same. Both feel really good. If you wanna go to shows though and get caught up against a twin, you gonna feel really bad when you see him/she fly off and leave you behind. That was the thing that made me buy the twin. More to look after but worth it for me in the end. Just take your time and look at a few before you buy

When I said I was looking to buy in the next two weeks what I meant was that is when all my funds will be available. I am not in a rush to buy but want to find the right one for my cash. During the last two months or so after deciding its a Supra I want I have looked at many many ads.

It would be nice to get one before Christmas but I suppose it depends on whats around and what I see to be a good purchase :)

ScoTTy