The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU performance what to expect, any set up options?

DSK

As some of you may have guess, my car is going BPU week after next courtesy of Garage786.

Parts to be used;

- Whifbitz UK spec double de-cat

- Whifbitz uparted SMIC

- Greddy BCC

- Gizmo Boost controller (can apparently set 4 boost options)

- NGK grade 7 colder spark plugs

+ other stuff

I personally feel that a standard well sorted 326bhp is plenty and to be honest I love the torque and even had a lovely drive today keeping below 3,000rpm (around 2,200/500rpm to be honest) with a satisfying smile on my face. I personally like effortless grunt to waft along on rather than rev something up.

I am going to request the car's boost options to be set at 0.9, 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 bar. (No Ash, I'm not going to touch 1.4! If my car stays 100% reliable I will allow you to whack it to 1.4 bar for a dyno run in the near future).

Q. Will the car retain its effortless low down torque with BPU modifications?

Q. What actual differences are there in performance with BPU (how does power differ, at what revs etc etc)?

Q. What additional maintenance service wise is required (if any)?

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

As some of you may have guess, my car is going BPU week after next courtesy of Garage786.

Parts to be used;

- Whifbitz uparted SMIC

- Greddy BCC

+ other stuff

I personally feel that a standard well sorted 326bhp is plenty and to be honest I love the torque and even had a lovely drive today keeping below 3,000rpm (around 2,200/500rpm to be honest) with a satisfying smile on my face. I personally like effortless grunt to waft along on rather than rev something up.

I am going to request the car's boost options to be set at 0.9, 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 bar. (No Ash, I'm not going to touch 1.4! If my car stays 100% reliable I will allow you to whack it to 1.4 bar for a dyno run in the near future).

Q. Will the car retain its effortless torque with BPU modifications?

Q. What actual differences are there in performance with BPU (how does power differ, at what revs etc etc)?

1.4bar not recommended bud on stock turbos!! is it a uk car or j-spec mate?

Thanks Tony, so long as the torque is retained thats main aspect for me and I will welcome the extra grunt on the very rare occasions the car is taken over 3,500rpm.

With the extra power mate it will be hard to keep it under 3500rpm thats where the fun starts! :D You will like it mate the car just comes alive! Mind do an ecu re-set once you have de-catted bud.

Tony tt's reply pretty much covers it, although I'd revert the plug and oil change to 5-6k miles dependant on the use it gets.

It should go without saying that the car should be fully serviced prior to going bpu, that includes gear, diff, PS oil along with a coolant flush.

BPU completely transforms the way the car performs. It's worth every penny IMO.

Parts to be used;

- Whifbitz uparted SMIC

- Greddy BCC

+ other stuff

Q. Will the car retain its effortless low down torque with BPU modifications?

You're certainly asking all the right questions ;)

You're in for quite a treat the first time you dig your right foot into the floor :eyebrows:

Is it j-spec turbos mate?

UK spec car with steel turbos.

As it can be seen, I'm not a rev head and don't really need BPU upgrade but due to a repair the CATS will be removed and de-cats fitted so thought its best to just do the whole BPU things properly with all the associated parts.

Edited by DSK (see edit history)

completely sorry for stealing your thread like this but is the ECU reset necessary?

iv been BPU for around 2 months now and never heard anything about an ecu reset, im worried now :faint:

If i do need to reset my ECU, can it be done by myself? (not the biggest mechanically minded person)

lee

Edited by Lee_e (see edit history)

completely sorry for stealing your thread like this but is the ECU reset necessary?

iv been BPU for around 2 months now and never heard anything about an ecu reset, im worried now :faint:

If i do need to reset my ECU, can it be done by myself? (not the biggest mechanically minded person)

lee

just disconnect the battery for 2 min and done!

not sure about all those boost settings. you can run 1.4 no prob on the uk turbos. personally i run 3 settings standard 1.2 and 1.4 bar

What sort of power would be produced at 1.2 and 1.4 bar?

The main thing that I want is for the effortless low down torque to be retained and the and all the components to remain reliable.

It will be nice to hear views of tuners and owners about BPU, people can discuss what they need and perhaps how best to go about BPU to acheive this.

My car is being de-catted due to a needy repair so I thought, well may as well go BPU but, don't skimp on parts and ensure its done right for suitability and reliability. If the power can be tuned in a manner to ensure the car remains driveable rather than be converted into a straight line dragster then that would be great too.

interesting read. Maybe should be made a sticky or edited into a handy guide.

It will be nice to hear views of tuners and owners about BPU, people can discuss what they need and perhaps how best to go about BPU to acheive this.

My car is being de-catted due to a needy repair so I thought, well may as well go BPU but, don't skimp on parts and ensure its done right for suitability and reliability. If the power can be tuned in a manner to ensure the car remains driveable rather than be converted into a straight line dragster then that would be great too.

Anything you'd suggest to add to the existing BPU article? No point re-inventing the wheel

What sort of power would be produced at 1.2 and 1.4 bar?

The main thing that I want is for the effortless low down torque to be retained and the and all the components to remain reliable.

ive ran my uk at 1.3 bar since i had it. dyno'd just below 400 fly hp. Havent had any problems with it at that pressure. Although recently ive noticed it wont boost above 1 bar :( Need to get it looked at but i dont have the time.

ive ran my uk at 1.3 bar since i had it. dyno'd just below 400 fly hp. Havent had any problems with it at that pressure. Although recently ive noticed it wont boost above 1 bar :( Need to get it looked at but i dont have the time.

Garage786 are not far from you if you need their help at all.

lee

Don't worry mate, all a reset will do is make the ECU relearn the idle control/o2 feedback, its not a learning ECU, it will just adjust to preset defaults should it see det from using lower octane fuel.

If yours has been running for 2 months it will be absolutely fine.

I think a major bonus of BPU even if the boost is somewhat restricted is the throttle response...........the stock car feels like a rocket ship compared to most car out there, but the lack of, or lowering of, the exhaust restriction really makes the throttle response nearer NA like, ie time from pedal push to grin on your face is reduced :).............that and the boost/power increase I think (never been bpu'd myself just test driven one) makes for the dramatic change in character.......

...........there was a guy that found BPU'ing made the 2nd turbo transition kick too violent for his liking, i'll try and find the post*.

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)

Well my cars going in tomorrow morning for the repair and BPU, getting a bit nervous as its far from cheap with parts comming to over £1K alone so just hope the car performs as a 'driver's' car. (Hence doing it right, using the best quality parts).

Never had any car tuned in such a manner before, so hoping that the extra power is just that, extra performance without sacrificing the standard low down torque and general driveability. (Main reason why I have never had any car fettled with in the past).

Just hope I don't regret BPU otherwise my parts will be for sale if my torque is decreased and the overall driveability is affected.

Oh and big thanks to Paul Whiffin for putting up with me and supplying the parts :)