The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Track days social group

SteveR

I've created a new group, primarily to help us keep tabs on who'd like to be dropped a line whenever a few track addicts are considering attending a day out somewhere. Primarily aimed at Supra drivers (hence posting this announcement in here) but others are welcome too (e.g. CW with such a set of track toys!)

I started a discussion to see who's been where as well, as I'm curious.

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Joined up, hopefully there will be some around the north west area or close by in 2010 I can attend as I really want to take the plunge and give it a go even if it means driving round at about 80 lol. How much does it approx cost to turn up to one of these events?is there any guidelines or rules on what the car has to have to beable to do it etc?

Joined up, hopefully there will be some around the north west area or close by in 2010 I can attend as I really want to take the plunge and give it a go even if it means driving round at about 80 lol. How much does it approx cost to turn up to one of these events?is there any guidelines or rules on what the car has to have to beable to do it etc?

Cost varies a great deal dependant on location and how much time you want on track, but figure between £100 and £400 per day. Noise restrictions are the biggest factor in terms of qualifying, but it goes without saying that your car should have good quality brake and tyre choices before considering it. Ditch finder tyre's and ebay brake pads/discs are not the sort of thing to take to a track with.

If you are new to it, you'll find it one of the best experiences you've had in your car, that much is pretty much guarenteed

Be prepared to travel for the better tracks. Also I'd recommend staring out at a less technically challenging track for your first one. Something like Bedford or Llandow is a nice and safe place to get to grips with the car.

A few hundred quid isnt bad then for what I'm sure would be a cracking day out! Would be paranoid about crashing into someone or visa versa though, I know my car might not be worth what some are on here but its my pride and joy, but I do want to have some fun with it as it just aint possible today with speed cameras everywhere and the amount of traffic on the road.

Usually the car should be "roadworthy".

Prices vary from around £125 (very cheap, 'off season') to £400 for a track day but then you'll obviously use fuel, wear & tear on tyres, brakes, etc - how much depends on how many laps/miles you drive and how hard.

In the early days you'll not burn these things that much quicker than you would if you went out for a 'spirited drive' on public roads - it takes time to build up the confidence to really start pushing a car towards its limits.

Exactly and I doubt il be pushing it to much on my first go, think I may need to look into some better front or rear disc (uk spec maybe) and definately some good quality tyres, was looking at getting some new tyres soon anyways so thats all good.

Will definately keep a close eye on it then and fingers crossed I'll be doing it soon enough

Oulton Park is probably your nearest proper race track and they have plenty of track days run both by their own organisation and organisations like Bookatrack who hire the circuit to resell slots to track day enthusiasts. Some of these organisations are a lot better run than others, you need to seek advice as to which are best suited for a novice. Some run novice only days. IMO you are liable to do less damage on a proper circuit than on an airfield day as the run offs are gravel traps that will hopefully stop the car before you hit anything, and they won't contain sawn off runway lights, big hidden holes, and invisible hazards in the long grass. They also have medical cover...

Approached in an organised way you should have great time, and a healthy MKIV should make a very reliable track day machine.

Paying a bit extra for some professional instruction is well worth doing, you'll be amazed how much faster and safer you will be.

Thanks for the info guys.

Chris- can you pay for professional tuition on the day of the track day? That would be something I would do without a doubt so I can at least learn some of the basics.

My supra has been very well maintained no doubt about that, so im fairly confident it should give me a reliable track day*fingers crossed*

Do you think because mine is auto that it would take most of the fun away from it? I would hope not but it's going to be more difficult to be in the correct gears etc through corners.

Most track days allow you to take out passangers and im sure a few of us that have done a couple can give you a few pointers. The one at Cadwell had 20 mins tuition included in the price and it was very good :)

If I was doing a track day in an auto id be using manu mode with overdrive off so you dont get any unexpected kick downs coming out of a corner :) Would still be fun though.