The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A supra's are they really bad on fuel.

little num

If your worried about MPG dont buy a supra.

Firstly i dont care how much it use's, i was just interested as im going to be spending £200 on fuel each trackday i go to.

I have just recently come from a uk tt6 running a mild 420bhp that i used purely for trackdays and Nurburgring so im sure i can afford the mpg for a n/a.

The reason i asked is the car im looking at tomorrow is for sale on here so ive been reading in his old threads and he has put he is bored of the supra as its very slow and use's lots of fuel so it makes me wonder if its f00cked or not.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=202096

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=187186

Edited by little num (see edit history)

I guess you'll know from the viewing and test drive how slow it feels and how much the fuel gauge moves.

Personally I find on older cars when they start to consume more its usually down the following which also affects performance;

- perished fuel injector seals

- ageing 02 sensor(s)

- failing camshaft sensor(s)

- vacuum line leaks

Cheers DSK will give me somthing to look out for, problem is the car isnt taxed so i doubt ill be able to drive it very far although i will be driving it home if purchased.

I have recently aquired a GS300 thats done a mild 144 thou and runs sweat as a nut, use's very little fuel (for a 3.0 auto) so i will be comparing the engine noise to that as when its running you cant here a thing.

If your worried about MPG dont buy a supra.

Statements like this sound really great down the pub when you are bragging about hos much you can afford to spend on your car, but mean cock all in real life.

Maybe the OP just wants to use it as a weekend car, or on the other hand maybe he wants to fo a 50 mile round trip every day for work and then also use it at the weekends, like I do.

I find it hard to take comments about expensive fuel costs seriously on a forum where people discuss the cheapest place to get oil filters.

Hear hear Digsy. If I were a millionaire I'd still probably ask about MPG before buying a car. Not finding out about MPG on a performance car really is the preserve of those who have more money than sense.

Take 2 people:

1) Someone who's interested in buying a car that does 5mpg, and having asked beforehand, is comfortable with the poor fuel economy and goes ahead with the purchase.

2) Someone who's interested in buying a car that does 25mpg, but not bothering to find out what the mpg is beforehand, and subsequently either skimps on maintenance or has to make a distressed sale.

Guess which one the fool is?

little_num: I monitor the mpg on my 5 speed NA and it's returned 26mpg consistently over the last few years. That's with 50:50 motorway/town driving, and being driven sedately.

Guest Suprafly

I think anyone who owns a supra n/a or tt and is concerned about mpg's obviously can't affort the car they're driving.

I've got no idea what my mpg's are, nor do I want to know.

Get an LPG conversion, or just drop a diesel in it lol

Edited by Suprafly (see edit history)

..ditto 300miles+/- to the tank..in a manual.

That actually seems a constant, whether I'm just doing my usual around here.. or recently when I took her to Wales and back which is a 600+mile round trip for me (and I never saw another Soop the whole time).

Around 25mpg

Interesting to read on the Lambda sensors tho if things start to change..always learning stuff on here :)

I think anyone why owns a supra n/a or tt and is concerned about mpg's obviously can't affort the car they're driving.

Funny how you never hear the same thing said about insurance or parts..

I think anyone why owns a supra n/a or tt and is concerned about mpg's obviously can't affort the car they're driving.

I find this attitude amusing as well. For a start, many a problem is diagnosed from a drop in mpg.

And this from someone who had to bargain a 6.5k car down to 5k before they could buy it :devil: I paid 18k for mine and I know and monitor exactly what mpg it does, so clearly I can't afford it.

-Ian

Guest Suprafly
I find this attitude amusing as well. For a start, many a problem is diagnosed from a drop in mpg.

And this from someone who had to bargain a 6.5k car down to 5k before they could buy it :devil: I paid 18k for mine and I know and monitor exactly what mpg it does, so clearly I can't afford it.

-Ian

Read my original post again, I said concerned, and the reason for this is because the chap is obviously asking about mpg's in terms of running costs.

I sold my 350Z which was worth way more than the supra I've just bought, so getting the car cheap was not an issue for me, if the guy who sold me it was fixed on 6.5k I'd have still payed that, but I didn't, I got it for 5k because I offered that price in light of the sellers circumstances, to which he eventually accepted.

So don't get all uppity on my post, that is my opinion and I believe I have a right to express said opinion on a public members forum without being judged by some pushy moderator do I not?

Ok, lets put thsi into perspective.

I pay £250 per month on fuel. This is by far and away the single biggest cost assocuated with runing my Supra - or indeed anyyone's Supra if they put in enough miles.

Apart frm a small blip a few years back my car turns in a fairly consistent 24MPG. On a run of the mill car where you can get 30-35MPG, a couple of MPG here and there doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but with a Supra 2 MPG is nearly a 10% change in fuel consumption.

If my Supra only turned in 22MPG then I'd be spending £275 per month on petrol - again, no great shakes you might think. What's an extra £25 per month.

However, look at the uproar when the price of fuel at the pump goes up by 10%. The maths is exactly the same, but this time no one pops up saying "oh stop moaning about the price of petrol. If you can't afford it you shouldn't have bought a Supra". I know that during the first fuel "crisis" I very seriously considered getting rid of mine simply because of the fuel costs. Instead I started servciing it myself rather than taking it to a garage, as well as making some other savings.

Everyone can run their car their own way and decide what they do and don't want to spend cash on, but if someone is considering buying a Supra and coming on here for advice, then why should they be accused of being somehow unworthy simply because they have asked a sensible question about what will probbaly be the biggest associated cost?