The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tinted front lights?

Blackie

Guest Suprafly

Yes it's easily possible to tint your headlights as long as they're properly degreased etc first, then apply a tinting spray evenly.

Not sure if it's legal or not, but why would you want to tint your headlights?

Guest Suprafly

Yeah if they're done properly they do look good, but the chances it'll look gash are high, so have a look around to see if you can get them proffesionally done, maybe by window tinters or paint sprayer perhaps?

Just incase it gets balls up :) The film in the top link looks cool but i bet its easy to crease as its fitted

Yup, happened with me on my first go with the indicator lenses.

The film would probably be better as the tint will chip easily. Will give you an idea if its worthwhile for a fiver though :)

i would like to see the end results for sure. doubt any of the colours available would suite a silver supe, maybe blue?

I did smoke tint the rear lights of my old Mr2, that was very simple and straight forward, looked fooking awesome too.

I am a little dubious of front lights though because of the legality, but if that tint comes off so easy, it may be worth playing about with.

I agree that any tint would be counter productive. I was thinking more along the lines of "Show" lights. In which case you would be better with covers that could be removed.

I was thinking about a spare set that I could tint.

Best thing to do is get the spray and have a look see. As I said, it comes off easily.

IMO I think it would look quite good... I am sure the light would not be that much effected especially if you used Bi-Xeon headlights. I tinted the rear lights on my old EG civic and it was done by my body garage mate. He used some sort of paint sprayer, but he used his spray gun to do it. This gave it proper clean smooth finish and when I pressed the brakes you could clearly see the lights (without dodgy patches).

Guest Suprafly
Just FYI, the savage tint spray comes off no bother with an alcohol wipe.

...and plenty of elbow grease!

I'd air on the side of the film, you could try to heat it up with a hairdryer as you apply it to make it stick flat and evenly over the curvature of the headlight, now theres an idea.

Or you could get a spare set from the bay cheap and spray em, but it has to be done right or it'll look pants, and also even if you do it right first time, it'll start to chip away with bugs and stone chips etc, seriously why bother?

Unless of course they're for show use only.

i think it just has 3 letters maybe? i remember when they came they had the company name embossed in white on a small red raised sticker. of course i peeled this off straight away though.

This company has them also though

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-98-Toyota-Supra-Blue-Yellow-Smoke-Headlight-Cover_W0QQitemZ230396446892QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20091107?IMSfp=TL091107184009r27789

Peter