The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what are these thingy majigy?

nuttynutz

hey ollie,

Just of the top of my head, the switch will probably be for a fog light as i don't think its standard, i have one the same on my uk TT and it was put in by the previous owner for turning an amp on and off!!

As for the nob on the top of the dash i can't remember if mine has one as i haven't been in it for ages! but have had a few cars that have something like that for an alarm light ( Nissan 200sx's use a similar thing). But i'm sure someone will be along to tell you exactly what it is!!

Graham..

Originally posted by Graham S

hey ollie,

Just of the top of my head, the switch will probably be for a fog light as i don't think its standard, i have one the same on my uk TT and it was put in by the previous owner for turning an amp on and off!!

As for the nob on the top of the dash i can't remember if mine has one as i haven't been in it for ages! but have had a few cars that have something like that for an alarm light ( Nissan 200sx's use a similar thing). But i'm sure someone will be along to tell you exactly what it is!!

Graham..

hey sup,

yea makes sense that its the fog light, as for the nobbily thing above, dont think it be for the alarm, because that was there before i got the supra, and i fitted the alarm in after. (unless it used to have an alarm and i didnt know, then i stupid for buying and fitting another one.

so at the moment i will go with bobbeh, and assume its to do with the climate comtrol.

Yep, bottom one is definitely the rear fog light - it's exactly the same switch as mine's got.

Top one, as has been said, is a solar sensor. This detects how sunny it is and makes your climate control blow a bit colder when it's bright outside, because people think it's hotter in the car when it's sunny, even though it may not be, and prefer a slightly cooler environment as a result.

splurge

when the sun is on your car the car gets hotter.

so when the sun is out the car is hotter so the climate cotrol has to work harder so more cool air comes out of the air vents to keep the temperature of the inside of the car constant.

hope this helps

Thanks. I must admit, though, that I always thought the solar sensor was to counter perceived hotness due to it being sunny.

The climate control system itself should cope with any actual changes to the interior temperature just by using the thermostat, surely? If it wants the temperature to drop and it's not dropping, then it just blows harder anyway.

Still, you learn something every day.

Talking of climate control thingamys mine is playing up. Although the gas is topped up and fine it doesnt get cool, several of the air con switches dont work including: rear window de-mister, feet only selector, auto fan, fan off, and some of the lights on fan speed dont work properley, as soon as u turn the heat control one notch it gets hot in otherwords its either normal air temp or hot, thats it.

Any ideas, one has been to get a full air con diagnostic which I may have too do but is a 2 day thing and may cost a fair bit.

Any other ideas? Apparently its a good system when it works.:(

Matt