The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Compression bad on vvti

jihwaan

so I am looking at buying a 99' VVTI with 80k kms and its got bad compression numbers (115,120,130,140,160,150). It has a small amount of oil inside the intake pipes- any ideas on whether it might be gasket, rings, valves, pistons or a combo?

I know without stripping it down I'll never know but I am just looking for some insight..

I might be able to get it for a decent price (if the owner will drop a little more in price) because of the compression issue and oil in turbo's.

I am a little worried coz its vvti that it might need some super special parts for rebuild or something- is this the case?

ADVICE WANTED!!!!

any input appreciated thanks guys..

problem is I doubt the guy will let me do this, and whats more I dont really want to in case it shows its not a major issue-

I guess what I am asking is should I take a punt on it.

he is willing to let it go way under market value because he knows it ain't right- can I drive a car for a few months with these numbers?

or put another way is a vvti any harder to rebuild than a non vvti?

for what it is it is cheap, and there ain't a lot of 99 6speed manuals with all the standard kit that haven't been molested in Australia for anything close to this price.

I just think better the devil you know- and to me those numbers aren't that bad...

he is willing to let it go at 5k (pounds) under market - it wasn't even for sale it was only that I was asking around for a late model rz he said he might consider selling it, he is moving to another state and it will cost him a couple thousand dollars to ship it then he has to fix it...

TBH there are no late models like this within 2000 miles of where I am... let alone anything within this price range or condition (excepting the aforementioned issues)

Edited by jihwaan (see edit history)

I would drop a second hand stock engine in to replace when/if it fails, forget a rebuild

but what about the ecu etc, wouldnt the harness and ecu need swapping also? otherwise this is exactly the road I will be going (I can get an aristo half cut for peanuts)...

and if so how hard is a full harness ecu engine swap on one of these puppies?

Sorry to sound very dumb but what actually is a compression test and what does it tell you about the car etc?

you squeeze the radiator hose between your thumb and forefinger, how much it compresses gives a gauge of the condition of the engine....

(I am gonna check back in five and edit this post but lets see if it fly's)

ok a mod showed up now I have to tell the truth...

was hoping for a laugh or 2 before the edit...(hey its late here :) )

a compression test tells you how well each piston/cylinder combination seals under pressure- thereby giving an indication of its condition. Its like using a tyre pressure gauge- if a cylinder holds good pressure and the pressure is even across all cylinders it is good, if not its bad.

hey what???

You are actually kidding I hope??????

no thats what my mechanic told me...honest!!

but it was worth a laugh eh?

Anyway back on topic- should I take a punt on the chance I get my dream car?

Hey if it turns out to be a lemon I will learn a hell of a lot fixing it...

how hard is it to swap a half cut non vvti motor into a vvti considering the FBW etc etc?
I wouldn't do that. I'd fit your VVTi head, and everything attached to it, to a known-good TT engine.

Or just strip and rebuild as necessary the VVTi that's in the car now. Rebuilding a 2JZ-GTE engine, regardless of whether it's VVTi or not, is an expensive business though.

I wouldn't do that. I'd fit your VVTi head, and everything attached to it, to a known-good TT engine.

Or just strip and rebuild as necessary the VVTi that's in the car now. Rebuilding a 2JZ-GTE engine, regardless of whether it's VVTi or not, is an expensive business though.

Thanks Jake and everyone else who weighed in- I realise it ain't gonna be cheap but that said I am going to have this car for many years to come so I figure if I rebuild this one now/soon I know its done.

That said if there are no other issues would you drive on those numbers- I have to drive it a fair way to get it home (read hundreds of miles)...

If it has known issues, it will mean mild rebuild at very least for peace of mind. This shouldn't cost a great deal more than a 2nd hand motor (which COULD have similar problems anyway), if you stick to a budget and don't go crazy. VVTi motors are 99% identical to non-VVTi, so rebuilding won't require more expertise or expense.

Unless you are really keen to learn, or it's really a steal... I'd keep well clear, as it sounds like a headache.

edited: wires crossed

Edited by sdistc (see edit history)

I have my SZ-r to drive around while I get this sorted anyways.

Oh well, Ill get a mate to go check it out...

its just so damn nice-

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/Skarsnik101/Rimg0056Small.jpg

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/Skarsnik101/Rimg0062Small.jpg

http://members.westnet.com.au/joelviney/Supra2/Picture011.jpg

and with its new(er) wheels: