The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Starter motor has finally given up

supra_si

the starter motor has finally given up completely,

its now on its way to the garage on the back of a flat bed and what a nightmare it was trying to get it on. with no visable tow eye either on the front or back we had to hook the cable onto one of the arms under the car and it only just cleared the slope.

Off for a genuine new toyota starter motor and oil and filter change whilst its there..

fingers crossed it will be an easy fix and once i get the old one back il refurb it and sell it on to reclaim some of the cost of the new one.

its been playing up for the best part of 10 months but usually it fires up after a couple of tries....... i hate it when things go wrong

as soon as shes fixed il be happy once more.. for a 16yo car shes doing quite well

ive already got a refurb kit pal, but i cant get under the car to take it off, and no garage round here will touch the inners of the starter motor, im sure that having a new one on my car will be the best solution although not the cheapest, il keep the old one and use the kit i have (toyota one) and refurb the old one. if i do it ok i may start doing refurbs on exchange basis

ahh bugger, the garage already have one on order, think it will be here today... im not mechanic but after reading some of the "how- to's" it would be hell of a lot easier using a ramp or pit to do this task, both of which i dont have :-(

Nah, axel stands!

I did mine at the end of my driveway, had the car in the air and starter motor off in about 30 mins. Refurbed it in my kitchen and then put it back on. These usually only break because of worn contacts. Cost me something like £15 for refurb kit and a couple of hours at most of my time rather than the price of a new starter motor :taped:

I was prepared for the job though and bought some tools that would make it easier before I started.