The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thoughts - minimum possible offset with 19" wheels???

JimC

Guys,

I wanted to star a thread to try and collect some info and get some more opinions.

I have ahd a little discussion with Ibrar about this and his advice has been great as always, but i just wondered what other members are running....

Im looking for a slightly more aggresive whell offset on my supra as i feel the wheels could sit out another 10-15mm or there abouts.

I am currently runnning 19" Vortex R (35mm offset)

Tyres are 235,35,19 and 265,30,19

My question is what offset could i realistically run without having to chop the bodywork and to avoid any rubbing? Ibrar seems to think 30mm would be the limit but i wonder what people are actually running at the moment?

If i am unable to gain much more without chopiing the arches etc, thats ok as i am in the process of lining up a guy to cut the arches back anyway, but i just thought it would be good to know the set up on other supras with 19" wheels.

If a few people came back and said they are curtrently running 19" wheels with 20mm offset and no issues, i would be far more confident in heading down this road.:D

I did manage to find this thread...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=197901&page=2

but just wanted to try and collect some more info!

Thanks guys

Jim

I tried the Vortex R 19's with 275 on the rear and they caught the arch big time. I had them rolled in the end. Don't know if that helps or not??

You need to specify the offset.:)

I have 19's on the rear with 275 tyres with no rubbing at all, the offset being +37mm.

I would say that +30mm is just about the limit as per Ibrar's advice. I suspect you could go lower with height-adjustable suspension but a +25 (or lower) and you'll find the rubber starting to stick out from the arch big style

Ibrar's calculation of a +50 offset, minus the 20mm gap between the vertical drop of the arch and the wheel, should give you the vertical play you need for 19's. Don't forget that the above figures are based upon a 9J size wheel as a 10J will generate an extra 12.5mm outward extension to the alloy wheel lip itself.

Edited by SupraAyf
Spelling (see edit history)

People talking about offsets without taking into consideration wheel width is futile. Wheel width has an effect on what offset you can run. I did loads of research into this before buying my wheels. I found this tool to be most helpful

http://www.morfed.net/wheel-offset-calculator/

Basically, put what offset and widths you have now, then put the new wheels dimensions in the lower part and it'll show you and tell you how much of a difference it'll be.

Why bother posting then? without the wheel width the info is useless.

If you look at my post and see who I was quoting you would see the point wouldn't you.

Someone was saying they had rubbing issues with 275 tyres and 19" wheels, I was merely saying that I have the same setup with no rubbing at all.

You don't have to be Einstein to realise that wheel widths matter.

Edited by merckx (see edit history)