The mkiv Supra Owners Club

radiators which one

TT Paul

im not too sure what the difference between the na and tt rads is. but i know there is one. I had a alu rad (flidine) in my car but it gave up the ghost all along the top. Put a stock one back in and its been great. There is a lot of debate between tightly packed fins and denser copper construction against ally ones which tend to be less dense. In my opinion the stock copper one won out. Half the price and i remember from my science GCSE that copper is a better conductor than most things :p

Well like i say. Some people say "uprated" ally ones are better. some say stock ones are great as they are. I pm'd someone on here who i trusted to give me an honest answer who wasnt just trying to shift a ally rad that was double the price of the stock one. Then the garrage i was having the work done at came back to me and said they looked at some of the ally ones the supplier had and the quality of the manufacture compared to the stock unit was crap. that confirmed it for me.

Im prety sure the garrage would have rather sold me a nice expensive rad if they thaught they could :p

The later model TT's come with the thinner NA rad so there's no need to replace your one unless it's faulty.

Personally I'd go for a decent stock one over an alu one. That is unless there's now a model that can be used with the stock fittings and fan shroud...

Just remembered the rad shroud will need replacing too, the NA rad shroud is different (to accomodate the slimmer rad)

I assume you've gone from an NA auto? Isn't there a difference between manual rads and auto rads?

Only that they have the auto box cooler in them. Not sure if the NA ones have it, but would guess so...

Basically they are all much of the same thing. If it works, fits and lasts who cares. The stock rad is a good unit but to say because Toyota built it and used it means it can't be beaten is delusional. Cars are built on tight budgets, corners are cut and components spec'd to particular requirements. It was fit for purpose that's all.

It's your choice but why pay more for something that does the same job at half the price?

Basically they are all much of the same thing. If it works, fits and lasts who cares. The stock rad is a good unit but to say because Toyota built it and used it means it can't be beaten is delusional. Cars are built on tight budgets, corners are cut and components spec'd to particular requirements. It was fit for purpose that's all.

It's your choice but why pay more for something that does the same job at half the price?

na na na na na! i completly disagree. the supra is strange, the guys designing it knew that it was going to be modified. the stock tt is what 300hp yet the engine can handle up to 600-700hp while still stock, look at jamies car. Also i was told that the gearbox can easily handle 700hp as well.

The reason I would be reluctant is due to the fitment issues with the stock fan shrouds. This will do a lot to damage cooling capability it they can't be fitted. I'd just get a known good 2nd hand stock one, it'll be a lot cheaper than buying a new alu one and will fit perfectly.

The later model TT's come with the thinner NA rad so there's no need to replace your one unless it's faulty.

Personally I'd go for a decent stock one over an alu one. That is unless there's now a model that can be used with the stock fittings and fan shroud...

My ASI rad fitted fine. No fiddling. Direct swap, fan shroud fitted fine.

na na na na na! i completly disagree. the supra is strange, the guys designing it knew that it was going to be modified. the stock tt is what 300hp yet the engine can handle up to 600-700hp while still stock, look at jamies car. Also i was told that the gearbox can easily handle 700hp as well.

I totally agree. The car is over engineered. My point is that the cars engineering is probably 20+ years old now in total. The stock rad is good but not the best. Why pay £300 when you can by a unit that is a direct swap and in my case has never caused me an issue for half the price.

I think most people choose stock for comparability and lack of hassle over quality and performance.