The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance NCD

Sharpie

Just got my renewal for this year and it is showing 9yrs NCD when I should have 10yrs.

I called Tesco and they say that their system only allows on digit so, 9+ and it won't show.

What they also told me is that once you get over 5yrs (65%) NCD then the additional years do not count or help you in any way.

So, why do I pay £150 to protect them ?

Well, it allows me to have 2 offs in a 3 year period without affecting my NCD.

If I do not protect them, then each off would cost me 2yrs NCD + the extra at renewal time due to the reduced NCD. So, in my head £450 over 3yrs IS worth protecting as any off is going to cost more than £450 anyway.

I never knew about the 65% / 5yr max NCD thing, IF what they told me is true.

Makes you think, why do I drive safely for 10yrs ;) when it does not really matter :flame Dev

I know with insurance it's a loose, loose situation.

[] walks off grumbling to himself....ggrrrr[]

Its either 5 or 7 depending on company but it appears mostly that all insurance companies (ie the big ones) do full no claims in 5 years. Above that there is no advantage to having more years NCB but bear this in mind protected or no if you have a claim your next 3 or 4 policies will be loaded. Don't protect it and when you come back to a burning pile of allready rusting metal some day remember that you will have to insure your next car with no NCB! Insurance really is only any good for the brokers (they are after all glorified bookies).

Insurance companies start to make their money back on the likes of you an me as I have paid literally thousands in insurance and never ever claimed a penny.