The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bomex Info

Paul Laing

Theres been alot of discussion about the Bomex stuff on here, i found a bit of info from the US forum so thought i'd share it with everyone. It states the quality now on them is very poor, since November to be precise, has anyone bought a Bomex bumper since then? I love this bumper and will probably buy one this summer along with FMIC, but these comments concern me. Maybe go for a Stillen instead? Don't look as good though :conf:

Bomex used to be good stuff, up until last November. In Nov. they did a 180 degree change in their business philosophy and decided to sell their kits at the same price as the replica stuff in an effort to eliminate the companies making replicas of their parts. I understand their idea but wow...what a mistake this will be long term I think.

Their body parts used to be all hand-laid fiberglass made in Japan. Each piece was crafted by a person from beginning to end, each hole made by hand, etc. The person making the piece would squeeze out the extra resin in the FRP compound, then lay the FPR into the mold and shape each part. The result was a perfect piece that weighed as little as possible and was strong, durabe, and took to paint well.

Their parts were made using the same process that other nice kits are made: Veilside, Do-Luck, Ab-Flug, TRD, my TRD Replica, Stout, Jun, C-West...you get the idea.

Now their body parts are made in Taiwan (probably by an 8 year old girl) using the much cheaper blow-mold process. These body parts are much more likely to crack, not fit, and chip paint. These are the pieces that you hear stories about them not fitting or sagging after a few months as the holes start to wear larger. Taiwanese blow-mold body kits are the reason body shops hate body kits...because they never fit and take hours to try to make them fit.

Here we go again !

Tell you what - dont buy Bomex -

they look good -

fit beautifully -

are a great price -

and we have them fitted really well to loads of cars

But that doesn't matter cos someone on Supraforums makes a comment -

Rolls Royces are built by hand - the Supra by robots?

Look at Dudes / Ashleys etc and make up your mind

:thumbs:

But if you want genuine Stillens then let me know - but they will cost you more!

Here's a great read from Dusty @ MVP Motorsports.

Many of you have already read about our troubles with Bomex in the MVP Motorsports sponsor forum. For those of you that have not read it, please do so HERE.

After reading the above thread what I have to say now may come as no shock to you, but I want everyone to know what kind of company Bomex USA is.

First issue:

Bomex sent a 240SX customer of ours (who ordered a complete body kit) the wrong front grill. The grill didn't fit at all and was obviously for a car other than a 240. OK, no big deal, mistakes happen. My customer is in Georgia & Bomex is in California. In 3 weeks my customer has a show to attend and the grill is the only part missing so they can paint his car. My customer asks for the right grill to be sent, I contact Bomex and they have it in stock. Bomex agrees to ship it right out.

A week later my customer called & asked for a tracking number since he doesn't have it yet...the show is 2 weeks away. After several phones calls to Bomex (ringing phone) I finally reach them and they say they will call me back. The next day when they haven't called me back; so I call & call & call & finally reach them. They tell me they forgot to send it out. I ask them to send it 3-day air and they agree.

4 days later when my customer still does not have it he calls me again. It's now 1 week before the show. He has painted the rest of his kit and can get the grill painted in 1-2 days, so he asks me to have Bomex send it 2nd day air if they haven't shipped it. I finally reach Bomex again and sure enough, they haven't shipped it. They agree to 2-day air the piece. That was Monday, April 19th. As of today, Tuesday the 27th my customer still does not have it. I followed up with Bomex EVERY DAY last week, but they never answered their phones for me after Monday, ever. The customer at this point doesn't want the grill and I don't blame him one bit. For 3 weeks Bomex couldn't get a small piece to a customer showing off their body kit on the show circuit...sad.

Second issue:

MKIV Supra customer, he may be a member on here but I'm not certain. He ordered front & sides on 2/10/04. Bomex said it should ship it about 6 weeks so I passed that along to him. On March 23rd Bomex said they received in his kit...I was shocked something actually came in on time. I told the customer, charged his credit card, and submitted the address to Bomex on March 24th.

On March 31st the customer ask for a tracking number via email but I was out of office on business for several days. On April 6th I finally reached Bomex after TEN phone calls and they said they shipped it out on March 31st and he would have it by April 9th. Why it took a week for them to ship what they had in stock they didn't explain to me.

On April 14th my customer didn't have the kit yet (!!) so he emails me again. After only 6 phone calls to Bomex they answer and tell me (quote) "Yes we definitely ship it out but I can not find tracking number." I asked him to research it immediately and get back to me. On April 16th I call Bomex 4 times & fax them twice asking them to call me...no reply at all. 17th, ditto. 18th, ditto. 19th - I call them SIXTEEN times to get an answer. On the 16th time they answer and I ask them about the 240SX grill and the missing Supra body kit. They tell me they are still "researching" the tracking number for the missing Supra kit. Its totally obvious they never shipped it but they won't just say that and take care of sending out another one...he tells me they know they shipped it and therefore will not send another one. But he still has no tracking number to prove it.

Fast forward to April 23rd - after much pressure from me (WHY do I have to pressure them to do the right thing??) they agree to ship "another" kit if my customer does not have it by yesterday, April 26th. So as of today, April 27th, supposedly Bomex will send out another front bumper & side skirts. I'm sure I'll have to call them a couple dozen times first. We'll see what happens and I'll update here.

That's it...just wanted everyone to know the kind of business Bomex is. Now imagine having a problem with your kit...or needing support. It’s a shame they had to go this way. A year ago Bomex made premium quality parts (hand made in Japan) and ran a decent company. Sad...

Dusty

My Bomex bolted straight on to the car no probs all bolt holes lined up fine , it had no cracks or chips and out of every nose around it is my favorite to fit (for ease and quality) if that changes i will post here but trust me up to now the Bomex's are way in front quality wise of any other kits prob with the exception of Albundys TRD wide body , remember guys i dont sell em i just fit em !!!:)

Dude:flame Dev

baldyman 016.jpg

Originally posted by #1 Adam

KEEP PUTTING PEOPLE OFF THE BOMEX FRONTEND!!.....I love mine and don't want to see every other supe with 1 on:D

Err yeah right , they are crap really , absolute shite , i wouldnt put one on my lawnmower !!!! How am i doing ???:cool:

Originally posted by #1 Adam

KEEP PUTTING PEOPLE OFF THE BOMEX FRONTEND!!.....I love mine and don't want to see every other supe with 1 on:D

Too l8 there fella... its becoming more common than the stock look - almost reaching Nur Spec heights! :)

Originally posted by Bobbeh

Yeah its a damn fine looking front end :) Thats the problem with nice things, everyone wants em :D

Yeh, i had already made my mind up what frontend i was having even before I purchased my supe. I had never heard Bomex being slated before I bought the frontend but TBH it wouldn't of phased me at all. Worst scenerio I would of repaired it myself to get it on!!:)

Originally posted by Syed Shah

That is from Dusty himself, so pretty reliable.

Paul, Dude, perhaps you have not yet got any of their 'new' stuff?

Yeah, but he was slating Bomex USA's customer service not the actual product wasn't he?

Think I must be the only person that doesn't like the Bomex front. Looks far too fussy for me.

Too l8 there fella... its becoming more common than the stock look - almost reaching Nur Spec heights! :)

Ignore this remark Adam as Bobbeh normally only gets to see the rear of most sups !!!!!:)

Originally posted by dude

Ignore this remark Adam as Bobbeh normally only gets to see the rear of most sups !!!!!:)

lol....:p ..........:innocent: ....didn't say a word Bobbeh

Sometimes it is good to hang back and admire a nice rear end though:cool:

Originally posted by Syed Shah

That is from Dusty himself, so pretty reliable.

Paul, Dude, perhaps you have not yet got any of their 'new' stuff?

Customer service is shit admittedly -

And then again no one gets guarantees on fibreglass in the states anyway

The kits we have used are the new ones m8!

Frankly we make bugger all on the Bomex anyway - and they are a bugger to get hold of - so anyone wants to get different fine by me !

:thumbs:

I've not lost a race yet ;)

And Dude, get back in your garage and fix your smoke machine :D

But you been on a pushbike for 18 months !!!!:)

Thats only cause you only lined up with the Nova boys at TSC !!!!:D