The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New to the Forum

Guest M.R.

Hi there, my name is Mike and I'm new to the forum, I thought I would get on here because I'm thinking of geting myself a Supra in the not to distant future.

I've own a Mk3 Supra before and really like it although at the time running costs were a bit too high and as it was an older car, started to have issues...

I'll be scouting around over the next few months as I dont really have the cash at the moment.

I need a bit of advice though, I was told by a friend not to bother with the N/A and to go for the TT because I can get more power out of it and better tune up options, however, I'm not looking to get another turbo car at the moment... Had a few over the last few years and they're just ended up costing me more and are a lot more hassle ive found to look after, so to be honest unless there's something I should know about, is there anything wrong with going for an N/A. Im not after the quickest car in the world I would just like it to be a smooth, reliable good all round car but look sexy, I love the Mkiv shape...

I'll just add I'm not really looking to go mad tuning the car up, it will be the simple exhaust, filter, wheels jobbie really, maybe suspension too...

any advice would be great :D

Mike

Edited by M.R. (see edit history)

Hi and Welcome,

Nothing wrong with the N/A mechanically; running costs bar replacement issues are not too dissimilar to a TT.

The thing about the N/A is you’ll get frustrated and wish you would have just gone for a TT in the first place. Performance of the N/A doesn’t stand out in the crowd unfortunately.

Edited by Matt H (see edit history)

:welcome:

I need a bit of advice though, I was told by a friend not to bother with the N/A and to go for the TT because I can get more power out of it and better tune up options, however, I'm not looking to get another turbo car at the moment... Had a few over the last few years and they're just ended up costing me more and are a lot more hassle ive found to look after, so to be honest unless there's something I should know about, is there anything wrong with going for an N/A. Im not after the quickest car in the world I would just like it to be a smooth, reliable good all round car but look sexy, I love the Mkiv shape...

In contrast to Matt H above, I would advise you to go with what you can afford. I could have bought a TT but I could only have bought an auto TT and not insured it - so I went with a manual N/A.

The 'dream' is to buy a TT one day, but at the moment I am enjoying driving my N/A around rather than wishing I had one and saving my pennies.

I can assure you that a good N/A will be smooth and reliable and indeed a good all round car which looks sexy. :)

If you were to tell us your budget, it would help with the advice, but if funds are tight and you can't wait - pick up a tasty N/A.

I'll agree with Matt that some do buy N/A and wish for more power (want the TT block), so your budget is key to my advice!

Either way, it depends what you want from the car. Even when I get a TT, it won't be so I can 'beat most things on the road' because that is not something I have ever cared about. It'll just be the petrol head in me wanting more acceleration from the car.

Good luck in your search :thumbs:

EDIT: Oh yes, and I forgot to mention - some of the TT and single owners like to make fun of the N/As lack of power ;)

Well as far as budget goes will be looking around the £4-£5K mark...

I dont want big power at this point in my life, Ive kinda been there done that and although I miss the turbo feel from a car its not the most important thing in life at the moment...

I just want a car where I dont have to always be on the look out for things failing... (Ive owned 2 vauxhalls and 1 rover over the last 2 years lol)

Welcome.

Whatever you decide to go, whether that's get an NA now for hold out a bit longer for a TT, make sure you don't rush in and buy the first one you see just so you can have a Supra sooner.

Go and view several, get test drives if you can, check that it is mechanically sound, etc. That sounds obvious, but it'll save you having to fork out on unnecessary repairs because you never bought a complete shed.

Although if you are prepared to be patient, you can use the extra time to squirrel away some more funds and might be able to stretch to a TT once you've found an example you want.

As far as reliability goes, both versions of the Supra are pretty exceptional. You get horror stories about poor and abused examples, much like with any car, but in general a TT Supra is not volatile in the slightest. Plenty of people have them as daily drivers without issues. I've had mine for 18months or so and done around 12k miles without even a hint of an issue (except for a stupid garage giving me an oil leak). There are several on the forum that have done over 200k miles without any major failures.

While the N/A isn't supercar quick, it's not exactly slow. As far as I'm aware (although this is a much debated issue) 0-60 on the N/A is around 6.5-7s and on the TT around 5s, although the TTs acceleration after that is pretty awesome :)

The TT is quite easily tuneable and for a couple of k outlay on top of the purchase price, you can get a car putting out ~390bhp, whereas you'd struggle to get much more than 250bhp out of an N/A (I believe) without some kind of turbo being involved (and more expense). Having said that, an N/A-TT conversion is about 3-4k (I think?), which isn't too bad if you later decide you want more power.

I can vouch for the Supra auto box, which is a dream to drive. Effortless when trundling around and loads of power on tap when you need it.

Go with whichever fits your bill, although with your budget, you'll get a lovely N/A quite readily and would maybe have to wait a bit longer for a really nice TT (although they do come up at that price).

Totally agree with the above other than 1 thing.

The auto box is DREADFULL on the N/A. On the TT it's great as the power is there to make it a nice drive. The N/A feels dead with the auto box IMO.

Really, I have an Auto NA and love it, to say its DREADFULL is a slight exageration :blink: