The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TTC ... running, boost and mpg?

Jamesy

Am thinking about running the car in ttc mode for a while.

Have read up and seen contasting views.

Just wonderd if any auto guys have done it and what u think?

What revs does it come on boost (im guessing its going to feel laggy?)

how much did it improve mpg especially motorway driving?

Thanking u! :)

I put my RZ in TTC for a while by by-passing the VSV's. You get lots of lag low down when nothing happens until around 3000rpm, then a surge of power up to 4000. Be careful though, after a week I noticed quite a bit of white smoke out the back on over run. I put the turbos back in sequential and the smoke went away. I spoke to some one at the Brighton run a few weeks ago who also said he put it in TTC, soon got lots of white smoke and then had to pay a wedge to get his turbos reconditioned! I don't know why the smoke in TTC. Maybe I did it wrong.

I read about the remapping - but spoke to a couple of tuners and they said the ecu would "re-learn" the new mode pretty quickly.

Just thought if doing a lot of motorway driving i'd hardly ever be on boost and therefore save a wedge on fuel ??

But if its going to screw up either th running and/or the turbos i will prob give it a swerve

I read about the remapping - but spoke to a couple of tuners and they said the ecu would "re-learn" the new mode pretty quickly.

Just thought if doing a lot of motorway driving i'd hardly ever be on boost and therefore save a wedge on fuel ??

But if its going to screw up either th running and/or the turbos i will prob give it a swerve

Your best bet for motorway then is an ETTC setup, where you can effectively use TTC to disable #1, then when you come off the motorway, re-enable it.

Id have thought that as the system isnt use to the turbos coming on line together it would need to be mapped to do so properly.....

The problem lies in them both coming into together, there's a lean spit at 3700rpm ish. Lean + boost + time = lunched lump. You might get away with it, there's some hit and miss.

I am going TTC on mine, but only when Ryan's mapped for that particular setup.

As I understand it, the ECU doesn't re-map. It adjusts the timing to control any det from running lean.

Running in TTC should be OK for the turbo's. It is questionable on the engine though as you will have rich and lean spots that you didn't have before. The ECU expects the 1st tubby to be spooling at 2krpm and on full boost not long after. There is absolutely nothing, so the car runs rich.

I don't think there is anything dangerous about it though, just not ideal without an ECU. I ran TTC when I came down for Japfest.... to save on fuel. Without being mapped for TTC you won't really save much IMO.

Was nice to have something different from the norm though.

Thats answered that then. I was going to put a switch on the dash to change over to TTC for better milage.....better milage is not worth killing the turbos for though.

The tubby's aren't in jeopardy. It's the engine.

cheers guys....

...by the sounds of it its not as straightforward as just switicng the wires over and enjoying an extra 10mpg!!

however i was told it'd make the car nosier - that alone was almost enough for me to do it right there and then!!!!!!!

I spoke to Ryan a while ago about the solaris and options. One thing that we discussed was a dual map with TTC switch. When I hit the switch it changed to TTC & the map changed to run optimal with it.

This would probably return a few more MPG, not a lot though.