The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Number plate riser block?

The-Plethora

After getting the car this weekend I have a few jobs to do, first is getting legal plates which I am hoping to pick up today.

With the front bumper...

http://www.do-luck.com/img/toyota/supra/80late/main.jpg

It's slightly tricky to decide where to put it as the bottom lip is not quite flat so I dont know how long it would sit there for. Legally I am not sure what the position would be even with a UK plate there as it faces almost upwards. I was wondering if theres something like a 45 degree number plate riser block I can get? (searched the web but found nothing). If I had the plate facing at 45 degrees that seems a reasonable compromise.

I dont want to block the intercooler in any way but then again I dont want to be pulled over and hit with a £60 fine every week.

Any ideas / suggestions welcome. I have thought about a stick on plate but I think I would still get the same problem.

Yep stick ons are illegal mate. :( One member here had a motorised drop down plate. Plate went up for speed runs, track etc. and came down for road use.

Another option is to get something like an import evo type plate mounted off to one side.

Finally, a carefully mounted uk plate right on the nose. Not a good look on yours.

I have put it in the windscreen till I can get home tonight to see what I can do with it, i remember reading somewhere on the forum (I will have to dig for it) that there are some tucked away DVLA regulations that excuse import cars from having plates that cover the front radiator?

i will drop Chingy a line and see what he did, cheers for the info. If I did cover it I presume it wont make too much difference temp wise due to the large surface area?

It's been discussed many times on here.

"All number plates must meet standard size for lettering and style (with the exception of imported cars that were not designed for UK plates and have a functional reason for not using standard size plates). Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if: The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Type Approval AND the vehicle’s construction/design cannot accommodate standard UK size number plates".

I bought some brackets today as Col suggested, My bumper is a replica so not filled with foam as far as I can tell so might be tricky.

I had just finished a decent Indian meal, got into my car and the police pulled in front of me, thankfully I played they polite young man, threw in a few jokes and no fine so quite happy with that.

They were fairly human about it and I asked them about stick on plates and they said they didnt know anything about them being illegal (I think they are still), but I have ordered a stick on plate with a "www.mkivsupra.net" tagline:d and that way I have a few choices for whatever I end up with.

I bought some brackets today as Col suggested, My bumper is a replica so not filled with foam as far as I can tell so might be tricky.

I had just finished a decent Indian meal, got into my car and the police pulled in front of me, thankfully I played they polite young man, threw in a few jokes and no fine so quite happy with that.

They were fairly human about it and I asked them about stick on plates and they said they didnt know anything about them being illegal (I think they are still), but I have ordered a stick on plate with a "www.mkivsupra.net" tagline:d and that way I have a few choices for whatever I end up with.

Bumper was ordered straight from Do-Luck mate, it is a real one. :p