The mkiv Supra Owners Club

More head woes

jevansio

Spent the day fitting my manifold etc, and one of my problem studs (that has kept coming out) is well & truly fecked. I think at this point I'm just going to scrap this head & put the car away for the winter.

It'll give me time to think whether I will put a stock head on (plus my 264's) or maybe go for a race head and oversize valves.

I'm pretty sure I will attempt this myself (under supervision of someone who knows what they're doing). Is a head replacement a job possible in my garage?

Also my new 4" Dp/Mp doesn't reach my HKS Ti so that'll need extending. In the end & just put all the kit on the car (inc my old turbo) so I could back it off the drive & swap it in the garage with the 911, what a racket it made without a midpipe :D

Going to get ratted tonight to drown my sorrowes :D

totaly off topic but i feel your pain j!! i went to start fitting my manual pedals today only to find the brake pedal cradle is snapped where the brake light switch is! Gave up and walked away!

Now back to topic, i suppose you could do it in your garage, shouldnt be a problem ASLONG as there is someone there with half a clue :p

I can understand why heads can't be repaired easily in most aspects, but Id' have thought it would be simple enough for a machinist to provide some kind of solution to this?

The particular stud had previously been helicoiled, so the 10mm thread is prolly at 12mm now, I'd be willing to try another solution as it seems a waste to get rid of a perfecty good built head due to pulling a stud out

Stage 5 whifbitz head seems good value:)

Having a look now :D

The particular stud had previously been helicoiled, so the 10mm thread is prolly at 12mm now, I'd be willing to try another solution as it seems a waste to get rid of a perfecty good built head due to pulling a stud out

Ah....that's a shame. I wonder if it can be filled and redrilled?

Just emailed you Chris :)

It's 2nd from right on the top,

Also I was told the last time the head went on that it had a lot of material removed from the umpteen previous skimminings & this was prolly the last time it could be put on (I think they used a 2mm HG to keep compression as stock), is this the final nail in the coffin for it?

Physical damage or overheating are the two commonest reasons for skimming. If it were mine I'd have a hardness test done on it, and the same test done on a known never overheated head. If it has gone soft it's a scrapper. Have the cam journals checked for warpage too. That just needs an engineering straight edge. The hardness test needs a Brinell tester. You can probably find somewhere fairly local for hardness testing.

http://www.hardnesstesters.com/brinell-hardness-tester.htm

Guest blueangel

Sorry to hear this fella and after you had been making such headway, i can wait until mine is in a state wher i can copy you in your tidy efforts

If the cam journals have warped would I be seeing any other side effects? Can I check them by just removing the cam covers? I might need direction as to what the "journals" are :D

If the heads off the car take it to an engineering company that can either check it using there inspection CMM machine or just pop it on a milling machine and put a verdict clock in the tool head and run along the cam journals.

Very easy to do and only take a few minutes

If its on the car and you have an accurate straight edge you could see the warp along the journals but you need a good edge and a good eye.

Cams need to come out in both cases