The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JIC Coilovers.

pedrosixfour

What kind of back-up/parts service can I expect if I had a set of these?

http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct1.aspx?ProductID=33&CarModelID=72&CarMakeID=10

What are people's opinion on these as a track only set up with 14kg springs front and 10kg springs rear on a stripped NA supra but with a full cage so kerb weight is probably close to stock.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Damien.

You won't get bits for them in the UK. It'll have to be a proper welded in cage otherwise the chassis will be doing the flexing, not the springs :) Those sorts of rates are too high unless it's well set up on slicks. The Japs seem to love rock hard set ups, I have always guessed because they like a car to slide at low speeds, rather than grip and let go at a speed where an accident is more like a plane crash. If you are building a serious track car you might want to see if Nitron have a listing for the MKIV yet. Their Skyline dampers are excellent for the relatively modest cost.

http://www.nitron.co.uk/nitron09/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_346_347&products_id=817&zenid=7dcf4c10dec493ae07a1f18b7bfd6866

A very nice option indeed Chris but so far out of my budget I can't even consider them.

The main drawback to the JIC set-up for me is the lack of service facilities. I understand your reservations about the lack of performance but as this is my first foray into motorsport of any description (3 track days so far), the base car is non-turbo and its main stomping ground will be Mondello Park here in the republic (I don't know if you know the circuit but its a fairly slow, technical course, 2nd & 3rd gear mostly) performance at low level flying rates is never really going to be an issue, I don't think.

But I want to spend what little I have on genuinely competent parts with some degree of user friendliness.

So with that in mind what would be a genuine step up from the factory bilstein suspension for my application?