The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mikes Project (miko_supra)

miko_supra

Figured I might as well put all my posts in one thread as I'm doing allot on the car over the next few months.

The car as I bought it:

Bought some new wheels and got rid of the spoiler right away:

The car is a '95 6 speed TT and my plans are:

A good service on parts through out the car and check for worn parts in need of replacement.

Boost Logic T67 turbo

Shed as much weight off of the car as I can without destroying the stock look.

Total weight loss so far: 85kg

Uprated coil overs

Full poly bush replacement

And generally making the car look as tidy as possible too.

Current photos

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=16920&d=1269451385

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=16921&d=1269451406

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=16922&d=1269451410

Edited by miko_supra (see edit history)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removed the active spoiler from the car

Intercooler is definatly in need of being replaced

Removed the HKS induction kit. I have a stock air box to replace it.

I had the tyres changed on the front to 235's as apposed to the 245's as they were too wide and protruded from the arches as the wheels are a +30 offset.

The car has a lovely wooden dash.

Took the dash apart so I can refurb it and also tidy up some wires behind there.

Got the snips out and spent about 3 hours trawling through all of the wires and working out ones that weren't needed.

I started removing some parts for weight saving...

Active spoiler- 8kg

Head Unit- 2.5kg

Active spoiler ecu, switch and antenna ecu - 0.5 kg

Old looms, boost gauge and aftermarket pedals- 1kg

Speakers including front speaker brackets - 4kg

Jacking kit - 2.5kg

Spare wheel - 17.5kg

Rear floor mats - 1kg

Total: 37kg

I weighed the new wheels to compare them to the old ones but they were exactly the same weight.

I also had a spare a/c pump that I weighed, which I will be taking off of the car and that was 7kg

Edited by miko_supra (see edit history)

Looks a nice base car Mike, look forward to reading your progress.

Has anyone tried using perspex side windows?

Fixed or electric? Ryan has fixed ones, i can see electric looking very shabby after a while, a perspex rear screen would be a better option along with a carbon (sprayed black) rear hatch.:)

Fixed or electric? Ryan has fixed ones, i can see electric looking very shabby after a while, a perspex rear screen would be a better option along with a carbon (sprayed black) rear hatch.:)

I was thinking about perspex side windows to work with the stock motors. When you say shabby is that due to them getting scratched as they go up and and down? Definatly looking into replacing the rear window. I shall have to see if my budget will stretch to a carbon fibre rear boot, but if i was to go about replacing panels I wouldnt mind doing the doors too with fibre glass replacements.

Has anyone weighed the carbon bootlids and doors against stock ones? Are these a good fit?

Can imagine a fair amount of weight saving to be had, although I kind of like the solid clunk when the door closes.

Has anyone weighed the carbon bootlids and doors against stock ones? Are these a good fit?

Can imagine a fair amount of weight saving to be had, although I kind of like the solid clunk when the door closes.

I think Paul Whiffin tried out fibre glass doors on his or a customers car and from what I remember they were a perfect fit.

When I got the car I noticed that the brakes felt very spongy. So when bleeding them the other week I got round to the last caliper to do and there was a small puddle underneath, with fluid stained near the bleed nipple, so I tightened this up about a 1/16th of a turn only to make a massive crack! So obviously the nipple didn't need tightening but had been over tightened in the past causing a tiny crack that was causing it to loose fluid and pressure. Just glad this didn't finally let go whilst driving.

Bought a brand new caliper to replace it.

Took off the wooden dash effect and resprayed the dash in matt black. I also made up a panel to go in place of the CD player to hold a couple of gauges and the boost controller, which is also easily removable if I ever want to reinstall the head unit. I will be changing the boost gauge to a better one and getting a matching afr gauge to accompany it.

Before

After

Nice job on the dash.

Cheers :)

what black paint did you use for the dash? and what kind of lacquer?

I did my last dash in satin black with a satin lacquer from paints4u which gave a similar result. New car, stock dash, so time to do it again :)

I just used halfords matt black, and no lacquer as this would give it more of a gloss effect. I had tried this before on my last supra, but i didn't like the shine whilst driving as well as the endless finger prints.

Nice job. Dash looks great.

Why are you taking the active spoiler off? They look great on a oem kitted or stock supra. You have to chop it about abit and will always be in the down position but i think it makes it look finished.

I had the active spoiler look on my previous supra. I want to shed allot of weight and a nice light fiber glass lip will finish the front off nicely.

My old car...