The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Roll Cage Padding

jevansio

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing anything unsafe by fitting it when it was really for use with a helmet. There's not really any chance of the head hitting the bar 9as it's behind the seat), but if I were to come out the seat (in a roll situation) it would be possible for my head to be manoeuvred there

It's not really a roll cage, its the Do-luck rear tension set, it's all behind the seat anyway, but I want to be 100% if a head manages to get near it, it's padded there

Ahh with you now.

What about the stuff that used to be on BMX handlebars?

i use plumbers pipe insulation, depending on the size of the pipe it can be quite cheap. i then wrap it in black gaffa (neatly), dosent look too bad and is softer than normal padding yet you wont bang through to the metal :)

Didnt think that was any where near dense enough.

Didnt think that was any where near dense enough.

So is the stuff I got correct Wez, it's proper FIA approved, just it seems its as bad to get a bash on the head with that as the cage itself.

Saying that I looked in the MR2 today and the amount of hard objects near the head is just the same (esp with the TBAR roof)

i use plumbers pipe insulation, depending on the size of the pipe it can be quite cheap. i then wrap it in black gaffa (neatly), dosent look too bad and is softer than normal padding yet you wont bang through to the metal :)

There's a much better product available through plumbers merchants called Armaflex. It's black and far denser, but softer than the standard stuff. Would be far better suited to this task really. It's quite a bit more expensive than the cheap stuff though (approx £5 for a 2m length, with 42mm internal diameter and a 19mm thick wall IIRC)

I've been doing some reading on this. Some thoughts:

Padding should be proper cage padding, not pipe insulation, this is due to it being fire retardent.

Many people would not use a caged car without a helmet & 5 point harness. Is this going a bit far, or am I under-estimating the risks associated with having a half cage in the car.

I'm reading the padding alone is not enough protection.

In my car I want to be able to use either 4 point harnesses or the OEM belt (without a helmet), so is it considered unsafe to have a padded cage in the rear under those conditions.

Would appreciate your thoughts this being a safety issue

Padding should be proper cage padding, not pipe insulation, this is due to it being fire retardent.

BINGO, would have thought people would have realized dripping plastic is a bad idea :)

I'd personally not recommend going in a caged car without a helmet, for the simple reason that those bars hurt when you wallop them. And if you have cage then it is a track car surely (Sorry, I'm jesting :p)...

Since you have a half cage, then if you are worried about bashing your head on the tube you have a MUCH bigger issue.

Lol :D,

The cage runs behind the seat, but if you push yourself up & backwards it is possible for your head to touch the bar (I'm thinking roll scenario here). I know it's a slim chance, but I want the car to be safe.

I was thinking of using the FIA approved padding which although hard, is no harder than any of the other interior trim, I just wanted to know if with the padding the car would be considered as safe as OEM if being used with an OEM seat belt & without helmet (worst case scenario)

Lol :D,

The cage runs behind the seat, but if you push yourself up & backwards it is possible for your head to touch the bar (I'm thinking roll scenario here). I know it's a slim chance, but I want the car to be safe

I've just looked at the pics of your cage and I see your point (I'm just a short-arse so I sit forward way past the B pillar at the best of times anyway).... I'd personally just get some padding, the only other way round is a proper seat, but they really aren't comfortable for daily.

http://www.motorspeed.com/sitepix/products/corbeau_revolution.jpg

There's a much better product available through plumbers merchants called Armaflex. It's black and far denser, but softer than the standard stuff. Would be far better suited to this task really. It's quite a bit more expensive than the cheap stuff though (approx £5 for a 2m length, with 42mm internal diameter and a 19mm thick wall IIRC)

thats what i was trying to think of, been bugging me since i replied, well done :)