The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT transplant

dangerous brain

In the not too distant future I am intending to transplant an engine and auto gearbox from an aero TT into my aero N/A.

I know that I am going to have to swap the gearbox across but how much more of the drive-train will have to be swapped?

The exhaust downpipes will they marry my existing exhaust system or will I need to get some decat pipes as I don't intend on buying new cats if I do have to replace this section of the exhaust?

I am aware that I will have to change the engine ECU are there any other engine related electrics that are not allready bolted onto the engine that I will have to change?

Is there an auto transmission ECU that I will need to find and change?

Inside the car is there any switchgear or other leccy bits I will have to ferret out of the dash etc?

I am of course assuming that the engine mounts are identical and that I won't have to alter the steering system or any of that jazz-: am I correct in this assumption.

Anything else I haven't thought of would be appreciatted.

I put this in general discussion to get some ideas moving, when I get the vehicle and lift the donk out I will take pics as I go and will post specific questions in the tech area.

One last question when I have completed the job where near bournemouth would be a good place to have the car tested and tuned properly.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much help but I do know that the decat pipes on the NA are different to the TT so I'm assuming that the stock bits are too, so you may have to do something with the cat section but the rest of the exhuast should be fine

Yeah I noticed that. You would think that no-one around here knew the answer to the question. I posted on the yank soop forum and an admin shut the thread down??? They do it regular over there so I am bit pissed that the admins said search it and closed it down because I did search it and the answers I required were not forthcoming.

Also to be fair any incursion of the Faye kind has to be viewed with a little Hi-jack scepticism lol. And you only have yourself to blame for that;)

Originally posted by dangerous brain

I am intending to transplant an engine and auto gearbox from an aero TT into my aero N/A.

Why don't you go the whole-hog and make yourself a truely special (and valuable)car, an AeroTop TT 6speed manual.

If you're going to that much trouble why not go the extra mile and a (AFAIK) unique in the UK Supra?

Originally posted by Jake

Why don't you go the whole-hog and make yourself a truely special (and valuable)car, an AeroTop TT 6speed manual.

If you're going to that much trouble why not go the extra mile and a (AFAIK) unique in the UK Supra?

Because at the moment I have a car complete with an auto transmission. This is costing me enough money as is. If someone however has a 6 speed box they will do a deal for my old N/A engine and auto box and the auto box from the donor car then yes I will be in business. Otherwise I am stuck with the auto which doesn't grieve me too much as I do quite like the auto box in my N/A.

Bloody good idea though mate

have a look here, there is a couple of engines for sale in america though. might be ok for reference pics. a few pics of the engines out of the car

non VVTI engine

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2475708923&rd=1

VVTI engine

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2475705860&rd=1

Originally posted by dude

Think your gonna have to change the loom dude , there is no gearbox ecu its built into the main ecu , does your car have the TRAC set up , you may want to change the diff as well

dude:flame Dev

By loom I am assuming you mean the main one between the engine and ECU? It doesn't go anywhere else does it? ie back of the car etc? I don't have trac if thats traction control. Why would I want to change the diff? Is it for a LSD version you mean?

By loom I am assuming you mean the main one between the engine and ECU? It doesn't go anywhere else does it? ie back of the car etc? I don't have trac if thats traction control. Why would I want to change the diff? Is it for a LSD version you mean?

I think you will find yourself changing the whole loom , its not that big a deal when you get into it , you will want an LSD take my word for it .

dude:flame Dev

In the not too distant future I am intending to transplant an engine and auto gearbox from an aero TT into my aero N/A.

I know that I am going to have to swap the gearbox across but how much more of the drive-train will have to be swapped?

The exhaust downpipes will they marry my existing exhaust system or will I need to get some decat pipes as I don't intend on buying new cats if I do have to replace this section of the exhaust?

I am aware that I will have to change the engine ECU are there any other engine related electrics that are not allready bolted onto the engine that I will have to change?

Is there an auto transmission ECU that I will need to find and change?

Inside the car is there any switchgear or other leccy bits I will have to ferret out of the dash etc?

I am of course assuming that the engine mounts are identical and that I won't have to alter the steering system or any of that jazz-: am I correct in this assumption.

Anything else I haven't thought of would be appreciatted.

I put this in general discussion to get some ideas moving, when I get the vehicle and lift the donk out I will take pics as I go and will post specific questions in the tech area.

One last question when I have completed the job where near bournemouth would be a good place to have the car tested and tuned properly.

rear diff needs changing, different ratio and not mounted strongly enough for TT torque. I think the rear suspension cradle that mounts it stays the same though. Overall a BIG job, not to be undertaken lightly.

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

rear diff needs changing, different ratio and not mounted strongly enough for TT torque. I think the rear suspension cradle that mounts it stays the same though. Overall a BIG job, not to be undertaken lightly.

Right so thats the second person to say rear diff which I have to admit I was thinking I needed to do. Are the drive shafts from a TT auto transmission the same as the one/ones from the N/A? I ask because the donor of the vehicle is under the impression that the main drive shaft is bent or damaged so I will need to source one of them.

Dude the diff in the car at the mo is from a standard GZ aero TT am I to assume that this diff is not LSD and that it would be advisable to get a LSD instead and not compulsory? I really can't afford to go buying a hod load of other bits right now as I am sure LSD's retail circa £700.

By entire loom in order to get a scope of the job I am taking on do you mean everything including lights wiring and all the dash?

Many thanks so far keep the stuff coming (honest I aint getting scared yet:music: )

Well since mine is hopefully the donor car ;)

The engine is peachy, as should the box be. The rear drivers side wheel took the impact, which you can see in the pics I posted in members section. I've no idea on the condition of the rear drivetrain bits and pieces. If the diff is ok (assume this is at the rear) then yes its is an LSD type. Also, front pipe is still on the engine so you only need the second pipe and it should mate up to your existing system.

Seeing the chap sun, papers off to insurance Tues/Weds so hopefully not much longer now.

Originally posted by SimonB

Have you seen this Brian, it has a list of parts at the end...

Yeah if I had a spare lots of grands then I could see that sort of project happening. As I don't I am hoping that the majority of parts I will need will be on the donor car. If there are cheap Mods I can do with the engine out then obviously I will consider them. The painting of the block and shiny blinging things with the donk out seems to me a very good idea! Gives me a bit of time to get familiar with the engine layout etc before I finally take my car off the road.

Now this gets me onto another thing I hadn't thought of does anyone know where I can get hold of/borrow/rent an engine stand that I can stick my spangly engine on whilst I paint/shag it all night long!!

Right sort of just pushing this up to the top a bit really. Thanks to the peeps that have given me info and support so far. cheers especially to dude I may end up havin to call ya when I get the engine out and I am bewildered.

Update

I have decided that as I haven't got proper garage facilities that I am going to get the garage that does my MOT's an stuff to help me drop the engine and gearbox's out of both cars on his car pillar lift. As is I think he is happy then for me to fag about with my cars electrics up to the point i need to put the engine and gearbox back into my car. Then using his aid put the engine and gearbox in. I will have more questions for you guru's later lol