The mkiv Supra Owners Club

oil ?

supra joe

I also use 10/40 semi-syth (or whatever it is that Halfords sells in a turquoise own-brand bottle).

£12 is a good price, cheaper than Halfords I believe.

Halfords arent cheap in my opinion, they quoted me £80 ish for a battery, Toyota £44 !!

Direct from Toyota?? Do you just phone up and order some, then collect? I could do with some.

I was pricing up a service package for a mate with an n/a, i just called my buddy Steve Manley at Inchcape Toyota Oxford and he gave me the prices for oil, plugs, cap, leads, rotor arm etc.

I would have thought they would keep oil in stock on the shelf but best to phone your nearest dealer to get their price and see if they have it on the shelf, all dealers will vary on price so just depends how good your local one is.

Or just use a local motorfactors shop as it could be even cheaper from them.

Eurocarparts brancees stock Valvoline Oils which is my favourite at respectable prices and they have the whole range with a variety of fully & semi synthetic 5w40 and 10w40 grades :cool: They even have the 5w50 and 10w60 VR1 racing on the shelf, I use Valvoline 5w50 in winter and Silkolene 10w50 or Valvoline 10w40 fully synthetic in summer.

You really should be checking the oil level with the dipstick, once a week. The oil light is not there as a reminder to top up, it is a warning that the oil level is approaching a dangerously low level. Toyota will have built in a safety margin, but the oil light should never come on if you carry out proper regular checks.

I called Toyota and they said £15+VAT but I forgot to ask if that was per litre or for 5L.

Will drive down later and check it out.

Did you ask for discount, you must or you wont get any,,,, and if thats per litre i'd go elsewhere :D

and my quote was inc vat Toyota are probably paying 50p a litre for it so ask for some discount, tell them your mate gets his from so and so dealer for £12 inc vat for 5 litres and see what they say, if you dont ask you dont get

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Practical performance car has a Q&A on myths associated with modern oils at the moment and the one that suprised me was "is it true that engine oil quality has been reduced recently?". I was sure the answer would be no, but apparently its true as they have reduced the amount of some wear reducing chemical called ZDDP. They now recommend buying a higher specification oil to reduce wear.

I wonder if this means it is better to buy £50/5ltr oil instead £25-30/5ltr oil? I'm sortoff glad I put silkolene in mine now.

Not a clue on the above but ive always used Mobil 1 fully synthetic in my car which i get for around £35 for 5 litres so will stick with that.

It could be all hype and then again it could be true but doubt we'll ever know unless your a petrochemical chemist with a degree and test the oils for whats in them compared to what used to be in them.

Direct from Toyota?? Do you just phone up and order some, then collect? I could do with some.

fuck that just call OPIE OILS, he has what you need plus you get a free oil filter! get the box fluid from him aswel!

get the rest from mr whiffin, plugs, fresh drop in filter, plug leads if you need it, dizzy cap again if you need it, new sump plug and washer. Job done!

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

Not a clue on the above but ive always used Mobil 1 fully synthetic in my car which i get for around £35 for 5 litres so will stick with that.

It could be all hype and then again it could be true but doubt we'll ever know unless your a petrochemical chemist with a degree and test the oils for whats in them compared to what used to be in them.

It suprised me but then when it said that the chemical had been removed due to its effect on catalytic converters I thought it sounded just like something the government would do, reduce the effectiveness of oils and screw your engine to save your cats:blink:

fuck that just call OPIE OILS, he has what you need plus you get a free oil filter! get the box fluid from him aswel!

The oil from OPIE OILS was much more expensive than that - I know because that's what the 5L currently in the car are! I didn't get a filter either :(