The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another Newbie Irish Member

Guest jdwals

Hi All.

I'm registering after having picked up my first MkIV Supra about two weeks, ago after having spent many years dreaming about getting one (blame The Fast and The Furious for that!).

My Supra is a 1993 black N/A manual with a little over 133,000klm's on it.

She is almost completley stock, with just a set of aftermarket 17" five spoke alloys on her.

No pics just yet but you'll all have seen one like it on here before[GRIN][/GRIN]! Will eventually get some pics when I get it cleaned again and get a nice bright dry day to take some good ones.

I have got the Supra after two and a half years running a 1991 2.5TT Toyota Soarer. Have to say that while the Soarer was a great car, with probably the best blend of performance, practicality and reliability for the price, I am finding the Supra a more enjoyable car to drive and every bit as comfortable - in fact more so as I find the Supra seats give better support to my back due to the better side bolsters.

Most surprised by the fact that I find the Supra to be a far more relaxed cruiser of a car than even the Soarer was - since I have got it I have been just driving around totally chilled and not being overly inclined to tear around in it.

Getting used to a manual car again - my last two were the Soarer and a 1993 2.2 non V-tec Honda Prelude which were both auto. Was going to get an auto Supra but for some reason all the auto's I came across here in Ireland seemed to have been driven far harder than the manual ones- can't figure that out as I would have expected it to be the other way around.

Just have three things to sort on her and she should be near perfect. I need to fit new brake pads, I need to fix a bit of rusting and a small water leak at the base of the rear window (any suggestions on the best way to do this is welcome) and I might need to change the tyres as the front one's rub off the inner wheel arches on full lock.

Looking forward to sharing my Supra ownership experience with all on the forums here!

Good intro mate, welcome aboard. Don't forget the pics, we like them :)

Welcome aboard mate. :)

Just a little concerned as to the bit where you mention the tyres rubbing. On 17's that shouldn't happen. Need some more details and pics bud. :)

Can happen on any wheels really as the rolling radius should be kept the same regardless of size (unless you go silly 20" big then you don't really have an option). Its all down to the width, offset and height of the suspension.

Hi guys and thanks for the welcome.

I am in the Kildare area, not far from Naas, though I do be up and down to Kerry a fair bit to see family.

The tyres that are on the car at the moment are 225/55 R17's front and rear. Do they seem too big to fit comfortably on a Supra?

I did not see anything to suggest the suspension was not a stock set up on the car. It does not seem to be lowered any. Having said that, it is very tight with no squeeks or rattles at all so it is possible it has been changed over at some point in time.

Abz - glad you clarified that whore comment! And I will post pictures up as soon as I can.

I'm going to be boring and say no, no plans to do anything other than keep it standard and in as good a shape as I can.

The only thing I might tinker around with is the stock sound system - I'm finding it pretty poor compared to the one that the Soarer had.

It has a Sony 4X50 head unit fitted so that should be adequate so probably fit better speakers and an amp.

However, that would be after I get the tailgate sorted and possibly the wheels if I need to do anything there due to the rubbing of the tyres off the car. Any sound upgrades will probably do in the new year sometime.

Welcome to the club! As you said, best to get any problems like tyre rubbing sorted out first. The stock speakers are pretty poor, and the front ones are surprisingly small (4" IIRC) considering the size of the speaker grill in the doors. I'm sure there are better 4" speakers out there, or you can make a bracket so that 6.5" speakers can be mounted. There's sometimes a group buy on speaker brackets on here when a member makes a few.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm going to be boring and say no, no plans to do anything other than keep it standard and in as good a shape as I can.

The only thing I might tinker around with is the stock sound system - I'm finding it pretty poor compared to the one that the Soarer had.

It has a Sony 4X50 head unit fitted so that should be adequate so probably fit better speakers and an amp.

However, that would be after I get the tailgate sorted and possibly the wheels if I need to do anything there due to the rubbing of the tyres off the car. Any sound upgrades will probably do in the new year sometime.

Nothing at all wrong with that :) It's nice so see stock ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Well for all you picture whores out there I'm finally getting around to posting some pics of my car after a month of ownership - well, I hope I am - first time doing this!

Supra 1.jpg

Supra 2.jpg