The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Modification Novice

Guest gtrman

Hello everybody!

Please excuse my username - as well as my MKIV Supra, I also own an R35 GT-R and on the GT-R forum my username is supraman!

I've owned my Supra for 11 years and I've done 170,000 miles in it. However, I'm embarrassed to say that it's still pretty much stock. Now that I've got my GT-R, I'm thinking about modifying the Supra and perhaps tracking it, which I've never done before.

My immediate problem is that the original clutch and exhaust are finally starting to show signs of problems. I plan to search this forum for more information, but I'd be really interested to hear your opinions on what I should replace them with. What factors do I need to consider?

With regards to the exhaust, I'm looking for something that won't disturb the neighbours at low speeds.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

On the track day advice side, I'd perhaps get a low mile stock exhaust and then get Chris Wilson (Shropshire) to do the clutch and put this itro £1200 suspension on (presuming this is also original?).....he'd be the best to advise on the suitability to further performance mods too IMO.

Wow! Thanks for the speedy responses. You lot are a friendly bunch. :thumbs:

Hi and welcome, it would help to give more details on your car starting with whether it's a TT or N/A?

Yes, that would have been sensible. My car is an import, registered in 1997. It only had a few hundred miles on it when I bought it. It is a 6-speed manual twin turbo. It's got the face-lifted interior, but it doesn't have the engine with variable valve timing. At the time I bought it, I was told that it was an RZ-S, but I've never been entirely sure if that was correct.

Im guessing Uk spec TT due to 11yr ownership and the 170k mileage?

Close but no cigar!

could you just confirm that you are saying you have done 170K miles on the original clutch!

Yes. I have done 170K miles on the original clutch, the original turbos and the original exhaust. The only thing I've had to change is the suspension.

Welcome, clutch i would go for another stock one, steve manley of inchscape toyota in oxford does very good deals for club members as does paul at whifbitz.

Whifbitz do a nice twin box system that wont break the bank and is not very loud.

Thanks for the feedback. Well obviously the stock clutch has served me very well, so I'd be happy to go for another one. How does it hold up with power increases?

I'm in Scotland and my car has been serviced exclusively by Duncan Stark at Hypertec. I presume some of you must know Duncan, as I often see Supras at his premises.

On the track day advice side, I'd perhaps get a low mile stock exhaust and then get Chris Wilson (Shropshire) to do the clutch and put this itro £1200 suspension on (presuming this is also original?).....he'd be the best to advise on the suitability to further performance mods too IMO.

Can you explain this a bit more? Are you saying that the money I could spend on an exhaust would be better spent on suspension mods? As I mentioned above, the suspension is the only thing I've already changed, and I only did that because the stock suspension wore out. I'm surprised that anybody would recommend another stock exhaust, because I thought an aftermarket exhaust was usually the first mod that people did. However, I'm a complete novice at all this, so I'm willing to be educated.

Stock clutch if running stock turbos.

Blitz NUR RX (91Db) or Blitz NUR Touring (88Db) are 2 of the quietest performance exhausts available, stock exhaust is 87Db.

Thanks for the advice. How is exhaust volume measured? Is it at specific revs? Can you comment on how the sound of these exhausts develop as the revs rise compared to stock? Alternatively, are there exhausts that are quiet at low revs, and then become more vocal as the revs rise?

Duncan mentioned HKS Silent Power. Does anybody know how this compares to the Blitz exhausts?

Welcome mate.

It sounds like you have a good plan there;)

Cheers.

By the way, I used to live in Greenock, and I seem to remember that, many years ago, somebody stuck a card for this website on my windscreen. Well, I got here eventually!

Thanks for the advice. How is exhaust volume measured? Is it at specific revs? Can you comment on how the sound of these exhausts develop as the revs rise compared to stock? Alternatively, are there exhausts that are quiet at low revs, and then become more vocal as the revs rise?

These are Blitz's own figures, they are peak volume on a stock TT with cats still fitted, they'd be a little louder with the cats removed. The Blitz RX is a popular choice with members, have a look through this thread for videos of different exhausts. http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=193462

Duncan mentioned HKS Silent Power. Does anybody know how this compares to the Blitz exhausts?

The HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust isn't that 'silent' they are rated at 98Db, the Blitz exhausts are cheaper and quieter in comparison.

The other exhaust I'd recommend would be the GReddy Ti-R (92DB), these are 100% titanium and weigh only 8kg, which is a big saving over the stock exhaust, not cheap mind. You should find vid of mine on linked thread above.

These are Blitz's own figures, they are peak volume on a stock TT with cats still fitted, they'd be a little louder with the cats removed. The Blitz RX is a popular choice with members, have a look through this thread for videos of different exhausts. http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=193462

The HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust isn't that 'silent' they are rated at 98Db, the Blitz exhausts are cheaper and quieter in comparison.

The other exhaust I'd recommend would be the GReddy Ti-R (92DB), these are 100% titanium and weigh only 8kg, which is a big saving over the stock exhaust, not cheap mind.

Hello everybody!

Please excuse my username - as well as my MKIV Supra, I also own an R35 GT-R and on the GT-R forum my username is supraman!

I've owned my Supra for 11 years and I've done 170,000 miles in it. However, I'm embarrassed to say that it's still pretty much stock. Now that I've got my GT-R, I'm thinking about modifying the Supra and perhaps tracking it, which I've never done before.

My immediate problem is that the original clutch and exhaust are finally starting to show signs of problems. I plan to search this forum for more information, but I'd be really interested to hear your opinions on what I should replace them with. What factors do I need to consider?

With regards to the exhaust, I'm looking for something that won't disturb the neighbours at low speeds.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Welcome to the club. The Tanabe Medallion exhaust system is reputed to be the quietest available. I have one on my Supra and it's as quiet as a stock system but with a nice deep "humming" sound thrown in - I wouldn't swap it for any other. You mentioned your user name is SupraMan - just so happens I make the "SupraMan" badges (pics attached), and if you're interested then please call me - 01922 645938 or mobile 07866 784434 anytime between 10am & 10pm. Regards - Rob - Likwidart.

Supra mkivSUPRAnet  & SupraMan logo.jpg

SupraMan send ChromeFlake.jpg

SupraMan send options.jpg

SupraMan send Colors.jpg

You mentioned your user name is SupraMan - just so happens I make the "SupraMan" badges (pics attached), and if you're interested then please call me - 01922 645938 or mobile 07866 784434 anytime between 10am & 10pm. Regards - Rob - Likwidart.

Doesn't Matt H have one of these yet? I know he likes Superman.

Yes. I have done 170K miles on the original clutch, the original turbos and the original exhaust. The only thing I've had to change is the suspension.

impressive, both from the car and I suspect a little from your mechanically sympathetic driving style :)

Can you explain this a bit more? Are you saying that the money I could spend on an exhaust would be better spent on suspension mods? As I mentioned above, the suspension is the only thing I've already changed, and I only did that because the stock suspension wore out. I'm surprised that anybody would recommend another stock exhaust, because I thought an aftermarket exhaust was usually the first mod that people did. However, I'm a complete novice at all this, so I'm willing to be educated.

Yes I was coming from the "the money would be better spent on suspension" angle but see thats covered..........my point re the exhaust is (and i'm probably/certainly in a minority) IF you are just going to track it and not really tune it much then stock will ensure you meet any track noise limits and will 'do the job' just fine.

With the suspension relatively new I'd move on to brakes (pads not disks) as my area of spend for track days and then invest in a spare set of track wheels/tyres...........IMO engine tuning could come after all that.......

Also is the intercooler the original, what condition is that in?